OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3643)
-   -   Interactive Online League Directory (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=104635)

kq76 10-24-2005 10:31 PM

Interactive Online League Directory

The Interactive Online League Directory (IOLD) is a listing of online leagues that is added to and updated by you.

Want to find a league to join that fits certain criteria? Check the IOLD. Want to check something out about a league you once read about? Check the IOLD. Curious about how many leagues there are of a certain type? Check the IOLD. Want another way to advertise your league? Add it to the IOLD, all on your own!

The IOLD is at: IOLD - Home and brief instructions can be found on each page.

If you have an issue concerning an existing league (need a reset password?), please include both the league's initials and ID# in your post so there is no confusion as to what league we are talking about.

In case you want the thread theasfl started that was stickied, it's at: OOTP Online League List - OOTP Developments Forums . He took down his listing a long long time ago so I unsticked it, but the thread still exists.

f.montoya 10-25-2005 01:14 AM

Just wondering if you could update Asahi2 Baseball League to the following URL: http://asahi2.montoyahome.com

Thanks. And nice idea.

BTW, can I get a password to update my league info when changes arise?

kq76 10-25-2005 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f.montoya
BTW, can I get a password to update my league info when changes arise?

PM sent (normally I won't post that). I forgot to say in it that you should probably change the reset password via the update page to something you can remember.

Cooleyvol 10-25-2005 08:21 AM

kq, I hope people use this more than the interactive listing that I put up on ootp411.com

Best of luck.

kq76 10-25-2005 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooleyvol
kq, I hope people use this more than the interactive listing that I put up on ootp411.com

Best of luck.

Thanks, but even if no one ends up using it, it won't have been for not. For awhile now, after seeing everything other leagues and BOSI were able to do with php and mysql, I wanted to learn them. After reading a bunch of tutorials I felt I had a decent grasp of the basics, but I was pretty sure that I'd learn a great deal more in trying to figure out how to solve problems I would likely encounter with a project. I wasn't disappointed, frustrated at times maybe, but not disappointed. I like learning things and I like building things, so this was a perfect little project to do in my spare time.

Up until very recently, I was never even sure it would get to the point of being good enough in my opinion to be released. And that was perfectly alright because the payoff didn't depend on that. I honestly didn't even think it would get this far in the beginning. But with 15 minutes here, a half hour there, eventually it adds up and with a little luck you get something.

Besides, the old OLD had 230 records, my excel one had 73, and theasfl's recent one had something like 170 last I checked. Now whether a lot of people are using them to find leagues to join I don't know, but I do know I've used them on a number of occassions to look things up like site and email addresses and then visit forums. And I imagine a number of others have as well. With more leagues and more information though (if anyone thinks I entered all that data, I didn't, I just imported the vast majority of it), I think people will use it from time to time.

I also included a field to differentiate between solo and multiplayer leagues thinking that the dynasty people might like to have something like this as well, but I haven't brought it up until now as I'm not sure how both groups would take that (I'm more concerned about our group's reaction than theirs as I have this impression of them being more mature). If it does take off for them as well, then it might be that much more useful though.

But yeah, even if no one uses it from this moment on, that's fine because I've already got my reward. :)

Karen Lutz 10-27-2005 07:31 PM

FBA (00215) = defunct

I have a couple to add, but I will get to them later on. Nice job kq

Simms 10-28-2005 08:06 PM

Very nicely done. :)

Now...we (FOBL) are already in there. How do I go about getting a password so that I can update the entry?

sporr 10-28-2005 08:21 PM

Thanks for the work. I need to make a slight update to the Maelstrom description (now 28 teams instead of 26), so please shoot me the password when you get a chance.

UKrookie 10-29-2005 01:52 AM

Please update the database that the IBA (00173) is defunct.

kq76 10-29-2005 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Lutz
FBA (00215) = defunct

I have a couple to add, but I will get to them later on. Nice job kq

Done and thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simms
Very nicely done.

Now...we (FOBL) are already in there. How do I go about getting a password so that I can update the entry?

Just like that. You should receieve a PM about it shortly. I love the new site design BTW! Very sharp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporr
Thanks for the work. I need to make a slight update to the Maelstrom description (now 28 teams instead of 26), so please shoot me the password when you get a chance.

Ditto for you (PM that is).

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKrookie
Please update the database that the IBA (00173) is defunct.

Done.

I originally included an email form on the contact page, but I got rid of it because just posting the request is probably easier (no need to type in who you are, your email address, etc into the form) and posts will allow for more people to find out about it. I kept a backup of the page with the form in case we decide in the future it's better though.

If anyone has any opinions on whether the 6 required fields are too many or too few, let me know. If it's an online league I think it should at least have a site address and an email address to contact the person in charge of it. The other 4 are: league initials, league full name, password and password confirmation.

Simms 10-29-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kq76
Just like that. You should receieve a PM about it shortly.

FOBL has been updated!

Quote:

I love the new site design BTW! Very sharp.
Thanks for the kind words. :)

bp_ 10-30-2005 09:54 PM

this is nice..more people will use this if the post gets a sticky...

kq76 11-03-2005 02:34 PM

A Chris Boyer tried twice to add an "AllStar Simulation League" to the IOLD, but got errors. It looks like you just didn't enter in something for some of the 6 required fields that are marked by red asterisks. If you still have problems after that, let me know.

I don't have any contact info for you, otherwise I'd contact you directly.

eMLBCommish 12-28-2005 10:09 PM

Hey there. I'd like to update eMLB (League ID 00005). We're still running strong, but obviously that information is old.

If you can PM me with a password to access that profile, that'd be great.

Thanks!

kq76 02-13-2006 09:34 AM

Bump!

Our goal is to have 400 leagues listed by the time OOTP2006 is released. We're currently at 316. It's a lofty goal, I know, but there's no sense in not setting your sights high. ;) If you know of a league that isn't already listed, get it in there!

I've also been trying to once in awhile update league records myself, but it's a slow process. If you're a commish of a league and would like a password, let me know. If you're not the commish, then you might want to send them a friendly email that they can get a password from me. You can also ask me to update it, but I'd like to get the passwords to the commissioners so they can update their records themselves whenever they want.

Zubes 02-13-2006 12:15 PM

PM sent regarding passwords.

i really think this thread needs to be a sticky.

kq76 02-22-2006 09:41 PM

Here are some things I was thinking of maybe adding to the database in the future:

-Does the Commish Manage a Team?
-Founder
-RSS Feed
-Opt-In Quarterly Update Reminder Email

If anyone has any opinions on whether they should be included or not or have some other things they think should maybe be included, let me know.

LivnLegend 02-22-2006 10:21 PM

Nice work. Thanks for including the USBA.

canadiancreed 02-23-2006 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kq76
Here are some things I was thinking of maybe adding to the database in the future:

-Does the Commish Manage a Team?
-Founder
-RSS Feed
-Opt-In Quarterly Update Reminder Email

If anyone has any opinions on whether they should be included or not or have some other things they think should maybe be included, let me know.

The first three I'd recommened. They're decent tidbits and the third option is defiantely a popular option as of late.

The fourth I'm wondering what exactly that entails?

kq76 02-24-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiancreed
The fourth I'm wondering what exactly that entails?

All it means is that someone who selects yes would get an email reminder to the address listed once every 3 months to update their league. I don't know how difficult it might be to automate that, but if it's not too difficult it might be a good idea. It'd probably be easier just to set up a mailing list that people can subscribe to, but I figure that it would probably be better if the email they get has a direct link to update their league instead of just a link to the update page. Anyway, of the things on the to do list, it's probably one of the least important. I might set up the mailing list and if I ever get to it, do the other.