OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Mack Jones for Bob Gibson & Steve Carlton (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305538)

Ty Cobb 07-28-2019 12:32 PM

Mack Jones for Bob Gibson & Steve Carlton

Shopped Jones around, got offered Gibson. Added Lefty...done!

Is this a rival to Fregosi for Ryan in real life? I know for sure I reamed the AI on this...

Thankfully, it's just a league where I'm experimenting, not challenge mode or anything like that. I might feel bad then...

battists 07-28-2019 01:10 PM

See this is one of the things I personally dislike about playing with real players. No matter what the ratings say, you KNOW which players are likely to be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ty Cobb 07-28-2019 01:52 PM

Well, I was testing out a concept and just sort of did this as a lark...but come on, even in '64, I think everyone in the business knew Lefty was going to be good at the least. Also, even if you take the original offer...Mack Jones for Bob Gibson??? You ask Tigers management from then if they'd have made that deal. Imagine Lolich, Gibson, McClain...and 68 probably gets joined by 67 for sure...and maybe even 66. Gibson would have also helped in the early 70s...like 72 where we lost to the A's.

Orcin 07-28-2019 01:58 PM

What trade difficulty are you using?

battists 07-28-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Cobb (Post 4520099)
Well, I was testing out a concept and just sort of did this as a lark...but come on, even in '64, I think everyone in the business knew Lefty was going to be good at the least. Also, even if you take the original offer...Mack Jones for Bob Gibson??? You ask Tigers management from then if they'd have made that deal. Imagine Lolich, Gibson, McClain...and 68 probably gets joined by 67 for sure...and maybe even 66. Gibson would have also helped in the early 70s...like 72 where we lost to the A's.

I guess my point is, even if "everyone in the business" knew that, the computer doesn't. There are hundreds of young players with potential in any given season. You're kind of gaming the system because you KNOW Carlton is going to turn out to be great, when to the game, he's just a bunch of numbers like any other young player with potential.

Bluenoser 07-28-2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Everyone except the AI in OOTP :D

Ty Cobb 07-28-2019 06:39 PM

I was using whatever the default trade setting is. I wasn't really looking to even bother with trades...just tesing an idea. This popped up, and well...what the heck. Since it's not even a CM game, there's no real benefit gained...just kind of a laugh like the AH Laughs thread. Still...it might bear inspection.

David Watts 07-28-2019 06:47 PM

I think it's been 6 versions or more since I even made an OOTP trade. I do wonder though if "Hall of Fame" type players should be flagged in some way so the AI recognizes they are very special. Kind of like the draft rating deal the game uses.

majesty95 07-28-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 4520126)
I guess my point is, even if "everyone in the business" knew that, the computer doesn't. There are hundreds of young players with potential in any given season. You're kind of gaming the system because you KNOW Carlton is going to turn out to be great, when to the game, he's just a bunch of numbers like any other young player with potential.

It drives me crazy when this is the response to that. Maybe it really is a trade AI issue? I’m bviouslybwe would need to see the ratings of the players to see if they’re expected to be as good as real life, but saying we know more than the AI is a problem. They AI should know more than us.

BirdWatcher 07-29-2019 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majesty95 (Post 4520210)
It drives me crazy when this is the response to that. Maybe it really is a trade AI issue? I’m bviouslybwe would need to see the ratings of the players to see if they’re expected to be as good as real life, but saying we know more than the AI is a problem. They AI should know more than us.

But with historical players we know more because we have the advantage of hindsight. Do we want the AI to operate based upon the reality at that moment in the save or do we want it to factor in a future that would have been unknowable to a real-life GM/scouting staff/etc. at that point in time? Plus, depending upon the settings one uses, there is no guarantee that a Steve Carlton will become a Hall-of-Famer.

Maximum Jay 07-29-2019 12:46 PM

I traded for both Bob Gibson and Brooks Robinson in my historical...got them both for peanuts thinking I was sooo smart.

Gibson never could get his control issues squared away, so after 3 seasons I traded him back to STL (lol), and now at age 29, he's playing 1B on their A ball team...Robinson lost two straight seasons to injury and never progressed past 2 stars, he's currently rotting away in AA, and I doubt he'll ever sniff the majors again.

David Watts 07-29-2019 02:08 PM

Question, can one use recalc when using Challenge Mode or all games in this mode played using the OOTP Development engine?

Argonaut 07-29-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4520456)
Question, can one use recalc when using Challenge Mode or all games in this mode played using the OOTP Development engine?

Challenge Mode is locked-in to the OOTP Development Engine last I checked.

Drstrangelove 07-29-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

https://collection.baseballhall.org/...rt-1964-may-15

"very little interest from other clubs... "

Ty Cobb 07-29-2019 04:34 PM

Nice find. Enlightening.