OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   FHM 5 - General Discussion (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3946)
-   -   Players Peak & Players Aging (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305344)

maikgianino 07-19-2019 10:26 PM

Players Peak & Players Aging

I was reading a few old threads about this but I want to make sure by myself asking to you guys.

I have set the players peak at 29 but their development/progress is super slow. Like a player with potential 3 stars is 1 star at 22 years old so good rookies never explode as expected during their best years.

Now I was reading that if you change Players' Aging they start to decrease later. But I don't know the scales or how exactly works.

Now the questions:
➡ The more Aging the faster or slower? For example 15 (which is the most common of the players of my custom league)
➡ If I change players peak and aging of the upcoming rookies at a third season will affect the game negatively?

I hope you guys can help me, I just want to make the game more fun that already is.

maikgianino 07-21-2019 03:38 AM

Hello? Anyone?

Adam B 07-21-2019 01:02 PM

If you change peak aging to later, it will mess with development. Guys will have better later careers likely, but will be much more slowly getting there. Even in real life do we rarely see players who are peaking at Age 30+. The simple fact is by Age 30 the vast majority of NHL Players are on their way out.

Now before someone before someone gets all antsy, you have to remember the average length of an NHL career is 5 years. Are there guys who play 20? Yes. Of course there is, but that's why we marvel at them, or impressed when a guy can carve out a career for significantly longer than expected (See: Matt Hendricks). But aside from the elite, very few players get better as they get older. That's why there's so much trepidation around giving older players longer contracts.

And it's not just in hockey, it's in Football, Baseball and everything else. The only example of a player getting better as they've gotten over 30 right now I can think of is Blake Wheeler. But for age 30+ guys, they just fall out. That's why Eric Fehr just signed in the Swiss league. It's why Pat Maroon isn't signed.

As for changing it. I can't say for certain, but I don't believe it will retroactively help players get better. It will affect the new guys being generated though.

maikgianino 07-21-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam B (Post 4517621)
If you change peak aging to later, it will mess with development. Guys will have better later careers likely, but will be much more slowly getting there. Even in real life do we rarely see players who are peaking at Age 30+. The simple fact is by Age 30 the vast majority of NHL Players are on their way out.

Now before someone before someone gets all antsy, you have to remember the average length of an NHL career is 5 years. Are there guys who play 20? Yes. Of course there is, but that's why we marvel at them, or impressed when a guy can carve out a career for significantly longer than expected (See: Matt Hendricks). But aside from the elite, very few players get better as they get older. That's why there's so much trepidation around giving older players longer contracts.

And it's not just in hockey, it's in Football, Baseball and everything else. The only example of a player getting better as they've gotten over 30 right now I can think of is Blake Wheeler. But for age 30+ guys, they just fall out. That's why Eric Fehr just signed in the Swiss league. It's why Pat Maroon isn't signed.

As for changing it. I can't say for certain, but I don't believe it will retroactively help players get better. It will affect the new guys being generated though.

Thank you very much for your help and detailed response during the weekend, I appreciate it!

Regarding the aging attribute, most of the players have 15 (approximately) that's slow or fast? I mean just to know exactly how to work on the development of the new draftees.

JeffR 07-26-2019 04:07 AM

15 is on the slow side, they'll tend to have longer careers.

maikgianino 07-26-2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 4519423)
15 is on the slow side, they'll tend to have longer careers.

Thank you very much Jeff.
I noticed this during the process but is great to have a confirmation. :)