OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Second-Best Baseball Sim? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=296373)

jerryb1961 12-07-2018 08:25 PM

Second-Best Baseball Sim?

Okay, it's a given that everyone's choice here for the best BB sim of all time is the OOTP series, culminating in v19 (so far).

But what's the second best?

I still play La Russa Oldtime Baseball, as well as Front Page Sports BB:98, and even Earl Weaver II. I also play APBA Broadcast Blast almost daily, just listening to the computer play against itself.

Whaddya y'all think? What's the second best?

Orcin 12-07-2018 10:06 PM

Ootp18

Grim Madder 12-09-2018 12:49 AM

I like the replay games as well. I think when you watch OOTP play by play very game of the season, it can feel a little scripted at times. Watching the replay games like Action PC! baseball or Replay Baseball PC are pretty immersive. However, the ability in OOTP to build a franchise is unmatched

Cactusguy21 12-09-2018 05:55 PM

if we count card games, Clutch Baseball 2018

if not, probably BrokenBat

akw4572 12-14-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim Madder (Post 4402941)
I like the replay games as well. I think when you watch OOTP play by play very game of the season, it can feel a little scripted at times. Watching the replay games like Action PC! baseball or Replay Baseball PC are pretty immersive. However, the ability in OOTP to build a franchise is unmatched

Replay is my choice.

jimmysthebestcop 12-15-2018 05:46 AM

I use to like Baseball Mogul back in the day but that had to be over a decade+ ago. Probably close to 15 years I bet. Not even sure if its in development now or whatever happened to it.

It did have a slight golden era I think some console games were buying the engine to incorporate it into their console baseball arcade sim game. Maybe a PlayStation game. Can't really remember only that it was probably within the games first 5-7 years of launch. Think it came out around 97 or 98

Zorro 12-15-2018 10:05 AM

Ootp 17. Orcin stole my first choice. Lol.

drksd4848 01-03-2019 04:55 PM

I would say if you could scare up a Commodore 64 or find a C64 emulator, then Micro League Baseball.

Zorro 01-03-2019 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drksd4848 (Post 4413434)
I would say if you could scare up a Commodore 64 or find a C64 emulator, then Micro League Baseball.

Wow, That was a wonderful game. First PC game that I ever owned as a baseball league. I still remember that Commodore 64 humming away.

nutt 01-11-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop (Post 4405682)
I use to like Baseball Mogul back in the day but that had to be over a decade+ ago. Probably close to 15 years I bet. Not even sure if its in development now or whatever happened to it.

If it wasn't for me discovering OOTP in 2010, I would have probably continued on with Mogul games until I realized it didn't fulfill my desires.

I did look at sportsmogul.com last night actually because I was curious about the advancement of BM and FM. I actually discovered FM first (bought the original Football Mogul for $10 at Gamestop in 2001 and put in countless of hours creating the XFL), then BM. They still make both games. They now have a 40-man roster for the game, still with statistical history. They now promote that all players have MiLB stats (The way they do it of course, not being the team but just shows R, Short-A, A, AA, AAA).

I remember someone telling me on their own forums that if I wanted a full in-depth game, OOTP was where it was at and BM was just a simple GM level for basic beginners.

maineyankee7 03-07-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drksd4848 (Post 4413434)

:thumbup1:

Loved the 64 and loved Micro League.

AirmenSmith 03-07-2019 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutt (Post 4417280)
If it wasn't for me discovering OOTP in 2010, I would have probably continued on with Mogul games until I realized it didn't fulfill my desires.

I did look at sportsmogul.com last night actually because I was curious about the advancement of BM and FM. I actually discovered FM first (bought the original Football Mogul for $10 at Gamestop in 2001 and put in countless of hours creating the XFL), then BM. They still make both games. They now have a 40-man roster for the game, still with statistical history. They now promote that all players have MiLB stats (The way they do it of course, not being the team but just shows R, Short-A, A, AA, AAA).

I remember someone telling me on their own forums that if I wanted a full in-depth game, OOTP was where it was at and BM was just a simple GM level for basic beginners.

This is how I looked at BM as well. I started all this with OOTP Season Ticket. While fun it was very difficult to learn at first. Not very Pick up and play friendly. So I then seen BM and played that for a year or so. It was great for learning the ropes about GM games. Then OOTP 6.5 came and ITP came and I stayed OOTP since.

The only other game I tried out was puresim which was a pretty good game.

Monkei 03-17-2019 12:33 PM

I started off back in the day with APBA baseball, dice and cards ... excellent

Beatles Eternally 03-22-2019 10:27 AM

I would say that Action PC Baseball is my second favorite. It seems to complement OOTP quite well.

Now, that being said, what I REALLY wish for in a future edition of OOTP is an announcer. I am a HUGE fan of APBA Baseball for Windows and Ernie Harwell's announcing provides an immersion that no other game can match. So, imagine OOTP's power, flexibility, and graphic beauty coupled with, say, Jon Miller calling the games!

rdomico 03-22-2019 11:30 AM

For its time, Earl Weaver II was the best ever.

bailey 03-22-2019 01:36 PM

For solo play I got the most value out of Pure Sim 2004.

darkcloud4579 03-22-2019 04:07 PM

Baseball Mogul, probably. But it's not like the old days where there were probably 4 or 5 different PC simulations for baseball floating around.

BronxBombers7 03-23-2019 12:03 PM

#1OOTP XX (followed by previous versions)
#2 Action! Baseball