OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Hobbies (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=309531)

David Watts 01-12-2020 02:54 PM

Hobbies

Obviously we all share the hobby of OOTP, but what are your other hobbies. Mine is reading crime fiction. My love of crime fiction started soon after I graduated high school in 1982.

BirdWatcher 01-12-2020 03:23 PM

Who has time for hobbies outside of OOTP? Heck, if I'm not working, eating, or sleeping, I'm probably playing OOTP. :laugh:

Okay, but seriously, I'm not sure they quite count as hobbies, but I love music (but am unmusical, so strictly as listener, not a musician), literature of all stripes (my favorite crime fiction writer is Henning Mankell), art (some favorites: Rothko, Modigliani, El Greco), fashion (well, the art of clothing and sartorial style, anyway.)
Basically I'm a humanities/aesthetics geek and people are often surprised when they find out how passionate about baseball I am. I don't fit too many sporty stereotypes.
I guess I'm more the Roger Angell type baseball fan.

Oh, and I'm a Coloradan, so I guess you could say hiking is also a hobby of mine. (Unfortunately, having been diagnosed with lung-involved sarcoidosis in the past year and half the hiking has been curtailed a bit.)

David Watts 01-12-2020 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4576666)
Who has time for hobbies outside of OOTP? Heck, if I'm not working, eating, or sleeping, I'm probably playing OOTP. :laugh:

Okay, but seriously, I'm not sure they quite count as hobbies, but I love music (but am unmusical, so strictly as listener, not a musician), literature of all stripes (my favorite crime fiction writer is Henning Mankell), art (some favorites: Rothko, Modigliani, El Greco), fashion (well, the art of clothing and sartorial style, anyway.)
Basically I'm a humanities/aesthetics geek and people are often surprised when they find out how passionate about baseball I am. I don't fit too many sporty stereotypes.
I guess I'm more the Roger Angell type baseball fan.

Oh, and I'm a Coloradan, so I guess you could say hiking is also a hobby of mine. (Unfortunately, having been diagnosed with lung-involved sarcoidosis in the past year and half the hiking has been curtailed a bit.)

I really need to read more Mankell. I've read The Troubled Man and Sidetracked. Liked them both.

BirdWatcher 01-12-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4576667)
I really need to read more Mankell. I've read The Troubled Man and Sidetracked. Liked them both.

I was pretty addicted to his Kurt Wallander series and devoured them all.

Also really love the Swedish television series Wallander. Haven't watched the British/Kenneth Branagh version much.

FSUKegman 01-12-2020 03:40 PM

Flipping houses...I love it! I'm rarely without a tool in my hand and my wife always complains about finding screws or screw bits in my pants when she does the wash. I've been doing it for over 10 years and now find myself wanting to buy a farm next and raise goats and extend my number of chickens. I was raised on a farm and NEVER thought I would come back to that lifestyle. I can remember hitting many a tennis ball in the pastures and playing countless homerun derbies.

David Watts 01-12-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4576671)
I was pretty addicted to his Kurt Wallander series and devoured them all.

Also really love the Swedish television series Wallander. Haven't watched the British/Kenneth Branagh version much.

Have you tried Mark Billingham's Thorne series or Joe Nesbo's Harry Hole series?

BirdWatcher 01-12-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4576674)
Have you tried Mark Billingham's Thorne series or Joe Nesbo's Harry Hole series?

Not yet. But thanks for the suggestions. I will add them to my list.

bigdgp2 01-12-2020 03:42 PM

Hiking / Spelunking / Outdoor adventures are my thing. Most recently, however, I've found an interest in leading D&D games, DM'ing my first ever campaign.

assamarra 01-12-2020 04:25 PM

Running (four times a week)
Watching Baseball
Watching Rugby League
Reading

BIG17EASY 01-12-2020 04:50 PM

Reading, running ultramarathons, cooking

jeffw3000 01-13-2020 10:05 AM

Because of my job, I have enough trouble finding time for OOTP. I sometimes have to work 12 or more hours in a day, but I do get most weekends off.

When I do find the time:
I watch and attend sports (Baseball, Football, hockey, tennis)
I am an avid movie goer
I read, mostly Science Fiction and Fantasy

scott1964 01-13-2020 11:15 AM

Bike riding and book collecting

Andy 01-13-2020 12:31 PM

I read a lot of crime fiction as well. My favorite author is Michael Connelly and the Bosch series based off of his books on Amazon is really good.

David Watts 01-13-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 4576954)
I read a lot of crime fiction as well. My favorite author is Michael Connelly and the Bosch series based off of his books on Amazon is really good.

I really like Connelly as well. I like the Amazon series, but I can't stomach the daughter. Quit watching last season about 1/2 way through the second episode when it became clear the Maddie was going to be a big part of the story.

Boomcoach 01-13-2020 12:40 PM

I have been a gamer since the '70s. RPGs, board games, miniature games, video games. We have had a D&D game every other week at out house for at least 12 years now. Various players, various editions, various campaigns. I was GMing for the first part, then my son and I alternated, now he has taken over.

My wife and I both like mystery fiction and TV.

Big music fan, mostly metal as I get older, although I still listen to jazz and hard rock a fair amount.

Andy 01-13-2020 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4576955)
I really like Connelly as well. I like the Amazon series, but I can't stomach the daughter. Quit watching last season about 1/2 way through the second episode when it became clear the Maddie was going to be a big part of the story.

There's also going to be a Lincoln Lawyer series on CBS next fall, although it will be hard to picture anyone other than Matthew McConaughey in that role.

Ty Cobb 01-13-2020 02:14 PM

I write, dink around with my Apple IIe emulator, and woodwork when I'm not playing with our two blue heelers.

BirdWatcher 01-13-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 4576954)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read any of the books in this series but I absolutely love the television series.

Andy 01-13-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4577003)
I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't read any of the books in this series but I absolutely love the television series.

What!!?? They're really good and the show stays true to the books, which is always nice to see. He's got a new series (3 books now I think) focusing on a female detective named Renee Ballard. I believe she's going to appear in the next season of Bosch. I have two little girls so it's nice seeing a strong female lead.

Anyway, I do have other hobbies as well. Like you, I am not musically inclined at all, but I do love listening to music. In addition to reading crime fiction, I do watch most police fiction shows on TV, like Bosch, Blue Bloods, SWAT, etc. The rest of the time is occupied by my 2 little girls (they turn 4 and 2 in May).

dsvitak 01-13-2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4576650)
Obviously we all share the hobby of OOTP, but what are your other hobbies. Mine is reading crime fiction. My love of crime fiction started soon after I graduated high school in 1982.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest public library, and start reading the Ed McBain crime novels. These are as good as any books I have ever read.