Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > History Campaign - All The Way From 1871

Rate this Entry

1876 - Midseason Recap

Submit "1876 - Midseason Recap" to Digg Submit "1876 - Midseason Recap" to del.icio.us Submit "1876 - Midseason Recap" to StumbleUpon Submit "1876 - Midseason Recap" to Google
Posted 01-15-2017 at 09:45 AM by TheEquinox

Heyho,

the first half of the season is in the books. We could have done better but we're still in contention. In fact, when I look at the individual stats of some of my most important players, I wonder why I'm not far ahead in the league yet. Many innings with 3 hits and no runs so far, so I'd say tough luck...

But lets look at some of those individuals I've mentioned. The first one worth mentioning is Levy Meyerle. He's having his best season so far, hitting an incredible AVG of .474 (#1 in the NL) and also two homeruns (#3 in the NL):

If he can keep that pace up until the rest of the season, he'll probably set up a couple of records which will last for a very long time.

Next one to have a look at is Orator Shafer. The leader guy who didn't live up to his potential in Chicago has been a regular starter on first base for me, and he didn't let me down so far:

Orator is playing his best season so far, hitting an AVG > 0.3 and as good as no errors. For the first time, my bench coach also reported the team chemistry is in good shape and named Orator as our major leader. I think he was a good trade acquiry and I hope he'll have many more good seasons in Boston!

What about Nick Wehman? Was he able to compensate the departure of Dick Higham in the preseason? I can say he was, and his new permanent place in the starting lineup seems to have boosted his self-confidence, as he's also playing the best season in his career so far:

He's getting better and better and he's only just 23. I think he also has the potential to become a Boston icon sooner or later!

Our other starters, especially Jim H O'Rourke, George Hall and George Bechtel are also doing quite well. Jim is hitting an AVG of 0.35 so far, Hall 0.30 and Bechtel 0.25 with 2 homeruns. Not overwhelming, but within their normal range for a good season.

The only child of sorrow this year is our shortstop Davy Force. After his injury in the preseason, he came back and picked up another 5 weeks injury after just two games. He hasn't really recovered from those so far and sits there with a 0.2 AVG in 8 games. His injury time also caused some problems, because we didn't really have a suitable backup for him. Nick Wehman, Carlos Guzman and triple-A Matthew Truesdale had to jump in for him in a rotation system where Carlos had to sub on the 2B spot whenever Nick went to the SS position. That way, Carlos got much more playing time than I would've liked and his performance was substandard with an 0.162 AVG in 18 games. We really need to look for a better backup shortstop for the next season.

Our new pitcher, Yin Xù failed to live up to the expectation I had for him so far. He wasn't terrible, but he's only just the 3rd best in the NL which is not enough for a player with his skillset:

Well, I guess it's been a little optimistic to think he's going to dominate the league in his rookie season right away. I hope he'll just need some more time to live up to his full potential.

Despite all these rather positive performances, the league table shows a different image:

The Chicago White Stockings started off with an 11-0 series and it looked like they'd be up and away with the National League title quite early. However, they completely fell apart as soon as their SP Al Pratt picked up another long-time injury. We've seen the same thing in previous season, as soon as their hurler is gone, they are doomed.

What comes as a surprise is the Cincinnati Reds' sudden performance boost. They've been known as walkover team so far, but it looks like they really got their stuff sorted this year and could become a serious contender here.

Meanwhile, nothing much has changed in the American League. The Cleveland Blues are once again a strong bet here, even though the Baltimore Orioles seem to have a problem with gifting the 3rd AL title in a row to them without a fight. I'd bet my money on the Blues, though. Jim Brooks and Jim A Devlin are still on a good run here, and their legendary pitcher, Cy Bentley is simply the best pitcher in the MLB right now. It's nice to see Dick Higham is having a good time in the AL as well. Definately a good capture for Baltimore there.

Here's this year's NL Allstar-selection:

Ten of our players (compared to eleven last season) are in there, which is a nice yield once again. However, the NL wasn't able to repeat last years' victory, due to a first-class performance by Cleveland's Jim A Devlin:

No surprise there, as he's also been one of the dominating figures in the AL and Cleveland's back-to-back MLB titles. This guy got on a good run a while ago and never slowed down anymore.

The last thing worth mentioning is another letter from my owner, who seems to be rather happy again:

I'm glad he likes the new people I acquired, however I need to keep in mind he wants us to win the MLB trophy this season and we definately need to step it up in order to get into the World Series to begin with. I wonder how Mr. Peck will react if we can't fulfill his title dreams this year. However, I'm sure there will be some teams who would be happy to employ a 3-times manager of the season just in case Chris here decides to make some silly decisions...

I'll be back with the regular season wrap up and hopefully with another World Series coverage.
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments