Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > PutIntoPlay

Rate this Entry

Pitching, Instruction, and Coaching

Submit "Pitching, Instruction, and Coaching" to Digg Submit "Pitching, Instruction, and Coaching" to del.icio.us Submit "Pitching, Instruction, and Coaching" to StumbleUpon Submit "Pitching, Instruction, and Coaching" to Google
Posted 04-24-2017 at 01:31 PM by PutIntoPlay

I've eluded to this before, and I think now is a good time to present a more detailed version of this idea. I've noted that this has come up in a number of ways throughout the forums, but not altogether.

When it comes to pitchers, there's a lot to consider. And this game captures the idea of pitcher quality quite well. Being fair, it lacks capturing the nuance that goes into quality.

There are a number of ways that pitchers develop into peak performers, no matter where they wind up.

From learning new pitches, improving command of those pitches, strength training, reviewing batter notes, and the list goes on.

There's also those intangible elements that factor into their growth, like self-awareness, attitude, personality, relationship with staff and players. Some of this is already accounted for in 18, and that's great to see. And I have to respect that it takes a lot of work to build realistic factors into a game of numbers to make it churn out the realistic product we desire.

Our coaching staff factor into player improvement merely by their knowledge base, their preference for coaching youth vs. veterans, and that player's receptiveness to coaching.

I feel those factors are important, and basic. To reach the next level however, these coaches have to be able to teach new pitches to a player. Those players need an aptitude for learning new pitches.

Pitching coaches needs to be able to teach technique, arm movement, they need to exercise pitchers through game simulations, covering situations where pressure is on, and those players have to be able to convert that coaching into knowledge and experience that eventually translates into their approach, success, and failure in games.

Digging into that second, and even third layer of training and preparation is where champions are born, and players are laid to rest.

Even with all the roles in personnel, we are lacking strength coaches, physical therapists, medical staff beyond the team trainer, who work players through the pain of the game so they can rise above.

The game, like real life, has much nuance that we take for granted. There is always time to improve however.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 21407 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments