Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > bjohn13

Rate this Entry

1906 Offseason

Submit "1906 Offseason" to Digg Submit "1906 Offseason" to del.icio.us Submit "1906 Offseason" to StumbleUpon Submit "1906 Offseason" to Google
Posted 12-15-2017 at 04:44 PM by bjohn13

First off, the Cy Young retirement really did shock me. I was expecting him to come back in 1907 and be a valuable part of the rotation.

That said, the 1906 team really had two huge problems that I needed to address. The first was that I only had half of a starting rotation. Sure, Ambrose Puttman filled in exceptionally well last year, but his stamina never quite developed. He had a habit of blowing leads in the late innings, so I really did want him back in the bullpen.

The second was the defense on the right side. Billy Hamilton in right field put up some offensive numbers good enough to keep his starting job, but given the fact that he was 41 years old going into the 1907 season, I needed to make sure that I had someone to back him up. Meanwhile, Billy Lush wasn't really the answer. His offense in 1906 was good, but his defensive role as the starting first baseman and a backup to Billy Hamilton in right field lacked a lot to be desired.

My hope is that my pitching problem is addressed with two rookies making their debuts in 1907, George Bell and Nap Rucker. I tried to address the defense situation by sending Lush along with minor league first baseman Bill Schwartz over to the St. Louis Browns for Ben Koehler, who is an excellent defensive outfielder.

I also traded John Hummel and minor leaguer Harry Wood for catcher Tom Needham. Needham is known as one of the best defensive catchers in the league, and he provides some insurance in case 40-year old Lave Cross starts to show signs of decline.

This meant that Shad Barry moved over to first base full time. It also means that Mike McCormick and Chub Aubrey, both excellent defensive third basemen, are going to get a chance to compete for a starting job.

Overall, my team in 1907 doesn't look that good on paper. The bullpen is stellar, but the starting rotation is unproven. The lineup has very little pop, but the defense is phenomenal. I think this team is good enough to remain competitive. If I can get good seasons out of Bell and Rucker, we might just have a chance.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3693 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments