Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > PutIntoPlay
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Rate this Entry

Additional Dreams: Work Outs, Fall/Winter Leagues, Instructional Ball, and Motivation

Submit "Additional Dreams:  Work Outs, Fall/Winter Leagues, Instructional Ball, and Motivation" to Digg Submit "Additional Dreams:  Work Outs, Fall/Winter Leagues, Instructional Ball, and Motivation" to del.icio.us Submit "Additional Dreams:  Work Outs, Fall/Winter Leagues, Instructional Ball, and Motivation" to StumbleUpon Submit "Additional Dreams:  Work Outs, Fall/Winter Leagues, Instructional Ball, and Motivation" to Google
Posted 10-06-2016 at 09:51 PM by PutIntoPlay

I mentioned this before in a thread I started, but I probably didn't give it as much attention and detail as it deserved.

I'm all about maximizing resources, and when you maximize resources, there's multiple ways to accomplish that. When it comes to raw materials, finding ways to fabricate, apply, or mix, or add to another raw material, and you have a product.

If you take that product and enhance it, you're maximizing it's potential as a product. And when you do that, you begin gaining a market.

In our scenario, our market is whatever league we're in, and we're trying to out perform our competition with the product that we put together.

The way the game works, it really focuses on finding ways to maximize a player's performance, and how some intangibles fit into that, like the level of greed a player has, how their personality affects their determination, etc.

Those are great details to add. But much of what these players do in the game, is just in the game. We know from the perspective of realism that much of what prepares these players to work together to win is what they do off the field, or what they do off-season.

If you're a baseball fan with years of attachment, you know that players that work out during the off-season generally impact their individual performance, and when players work out together, they impact how they work together on the field.

When you read some of the news releases in the cache, you'll see that the game indeed factors this in. Sometimes players get injured from doing bizarre workouts.

That's great, but that suggests that we leave players to their own devices, and anyone knows that is not true, players are routinely guided, and "offered" opportunities to work out in the off-season. And we know how those opportunities are worded. But whether it's sanctioned or not, it's part of the game. Some players may be allowed to managing their own routines, or at least part of them, but at the end of the day, the team has facilities, they encourage the use of them in a number of ways, and the game should include this element, in the same detail it provides the make up of a player.

This may mean we physically supply spring training facilities into the game, that come complete with a traveling strength and conditioning coach, training staff, even consultants that shape work out regimens.

This may also incorporate points of contract negotiation, but that discussion may be a bit far off at this time.

In addition, and I'd say Tim Tebow really broke this to the traveling public, but things like Fall and Winter league, and Instructional League are major components of the game that are left out, as far as I know it.

Why do they exist? Well, like our International Complexes will show, not everyone develops in a cocoon, and you have to get them to a place between the training hub, and actual league play. Rookie League stimulates some growth, but not as much as we need to grow our stock. We want players to maximize. And while some will peak early, or not develop, we have an argument that not all the tools are present for this growth to be fully realized.

As far as Winter League is concerned, between overseas leagues in the Dominican Republic, and other locations, and those leagues that exist domestically, the fact is that players who are developing, are going to be sent around to leagues, year round. So on top of that work out regimen they have to buy into during their minor and rookie contracts, they also are going to shuffle from league to league, all in an effort to improve the product.

When we think about the motivation, it's simple: to play big league baseball, and also complex: to improve fielding, or hitting strength, or developing a pitch.

And this is where we start to see a way to manage a player's expectation. Instead of being upset purely because they are not in the league they think they should be in, if we can develop goals for them to accomplish to get to that next level, it gives them something to focus on to make that larger goal.

And in doing so, it gives us some leverage and leeway in placing players in the right set of circumstances, without their expectations completely ruining their performance, which leads to unexpected or premature attrition.

Though it is accurate that players have to be released when their performance becomes too inept, or when their attitude lies in the way of their own progress, there is still some methods of reducing those numbers.

How much of this is possible, I do not know. But it does seem that crucial elements to building our product are missing. This is not a critique however, because nothing great is accomplished the first time. And quite frankly, I respect the additions that have been made in the short time I've been here, and I also respect that changes are made carefully. I'd rather they be made in that manner, rather than everything I would want in a baseball simulation.

That's all I have for now.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 7677 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments