Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > History Campaign - All The Way From 1871

Rate this Entry

1878 - Trades and Opening Day Roster

Submit "1878 - Trades and Opening Day Roster" to Digg Submit "1878 - Trades and Opening Day Roster" to del.icio.us Submit "1878 - Trades and Opening Day Roster" to StumbleUpon Submit "1878 - Trades and Opening Day Roster" to Google
Posted 03-20-2017 at 10:03 PM by TheEquinox

Welcome back to a new season. The year is 1878 and everybody in Boston is ready for a new title! Especially my owner, who wants me to build a dynasty - whatever that means - but I guess some more titles would be a step in the right direction.

Let's have a look at our key trades this season:

This looked like a no-brainer to me. Right fielder Kevin Hodges seems to be just what I'm missing in my roster, he's got great contact skill and should be a hitting machine (s. below). However, what makes me a bit suspicious here are his stats. He hasn't ever had a good hitting season in the MLB so far, which seems weird if his skill ratings are true. But whatever, Henry Luff was just a backup player and I don't mind him leaving, so why not take a chance here?

And here's the new guy:

The next trade was made to get more options on the RF position which was the worst position in last season's roster:

Bill Harbridge, the rookie of the year in the American League last season. He's the complete opposite to Kevin Hodges: His skill ratings don't look that great, but his stats have been very nice last year. Interesting experiment there, we'll see who of the two is doing better.
Steve King is about to turn 36 now and despite his okay season last year, I decided we need to make the team younger.

Welcome Bill:

The last trade worth mentioning was made to get the Shortstop position sorted. We've been a little short on alternatives there for years now, so I was willing to negotiate this deal over several weeks:

Our former hero Mike McGeary returns to Boston. He's been our shortstop when we won our first championship in 1873 and he didn't feel quite happy in Philadelphia anymore. He'll be a nice addition to the squad and finally we have a rotation option on this underrepresented position. Willie Fuentes is the next generation of shortstops. He's got a contact potential of 78, which means he could become another hitting machine after a few seasons in the minors. About the players leaving: Good riddance. We managed to free some salary budget with this deal and won't really miss anyone of them. Parker Zimmer never really made it in Boston, he's been a reliever in 1871-1872 but most of the time he spent in the minors without any significant development. Ricardo Rosas was a backup option on the right/left field, but didn't ever make it here. The others are players who wouldn't ever have had a chance to make it to my MLB roster. I hope Philadelphia will get happy with them.

Welcome back home, Mike McGeary:

Aside from the trades, I also picked up some nice free signings. I found this guy on the free agent list and thought he'd be worth a try:

His contact and avoid K's look above average. I'm curious to see what he can do for us.

There was also a nice player in the first year draft this time, but have a look yourself:

He could really become a great player for us, but I'll let him start at AAA first so he can get some experience. And by the way, I LOVE that name :-)

To sum this up, here's the opening day roster for the 1878 season:

Levi picked up an injury in the last spring training game
That clearly won't help us to get a good start I guess. Preseason prediction says we'll end up 2nd behind Cincinnati with a margin of 4 games. Let's hope they've got no clue what they're talking about!
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments