Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > Trebro

Rate this Entry

Base-Ball World: A Stupidly Ambitious Plan

Submit "Base-Ball World: A Stupidly Ambitious Plan" to Digg Submit "Base-Ball World: A Stupidly Ambitious Plan" to del.icio.us Submit "Base-Ball World: A Stupidly Ambitious Plan" to StumbleUpon Submit "Base-Ball World: A Stupidly Ambitious Plan" to Google
Posted 03-15-2014 at 09:41 PM by Trebro

Hi all,

So I've decided what I like best in OOTP is just watching the years go by and the stats compile and careers made and ended.

Which means--dynasty time!

Now, I should have done something simple, but instead I took several hours and built up a new American baseball world, with plans to craft an alternative history of the game.

I'm not completely anal retentive, so certain things are just going to have to occur, like having owners that aren't very realistic for the 1870s (I replaced them with more historical names/a few real life folks, and found once I started playing, the team owners I'd created were cast aside.) or fictional players with surnames that are from all over the baseball-playing world, even though I set the foreign percentages to be extremely low (5%, I think)

Other work that I did:

--Created the original 9 National Association teams, filled them via draft with historical players. This is part of the Professional League and will eventually have a second Professional-level League.
--Created 2 Semi-Pro Leagues, the Eastern and Western. Each have two regional sub-leagues. I used teams that would later join the National Association as well as cities chosen from a list of the top 100 per 1870 US Census Data, thinking realistically about who might group together. Some of these teams will eventually move to the pro league.
--Took out all media funding.
--Charged .25 for pro games and .10 for semi-pro. Attendance average is 3K for pro and 1K for semi-pro.
--Made a sliding market size scale, going from 10 (500K pop and above) down to 1 (under 20K).
--Used historical settings for strategy.
--Set 15 man rosters.
--Got a few history-related owners to stick, so the league has original Boston and Chicago owners, as well as M. Burns running the Springfield franchise. Could not get most others to stick.
--Seasons are 28-32 games for the first year. This will change as # of teams does.

I am unsure how often I will move franchises. In the 1870s, the pro teams dropped in and out. This will depend on how well/poorly teams are doing at their level.

This is something I plan to play on my old OOTP13 until OOTP hits a sale (so probably Summer). I'm not sure how often I will sim (thinking maybe 14 days a night, so eventually about a year a week) and I am not sure how often to post yet. (Seems like it can be anything from monthly to yearly, depending on the person)

I'm going to try to extend out to around 1900 or so and see a) if i'm still interested b) if anyone else is still interested and c) if I am ready to move to OOTP15 at that point. I'd like to have a second set of pro leagues by then (Perhaps the Union Association and the Players Association), another set of semi-pro leagues (maybe PCL and a Texas/Mexico one), and a pro-level Cuban league by then. I'd also expect most of the really tiny market teams (Ft. Wayne, Erie, et all) to have moved by my hand--I turned auto-expand off, as I want control of this.)

I wasn't kidding when I said this was ambitious!

I figure if I can figure out what works here on 13, when I go to do this again on 15 (I love love love historical baseball--I'm not sure I'd ever create a modern-starting dynasty), I'll be able to make an even better version and see if folks like Ross Barnes have a different career path when I try again.

Comments welcome! A few starter pages coming shortly!
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2028 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments