Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > ForeverRoyalKC

Rate this Entry

Ahh, the good old days!

Submit "Ahh, the good old days!" to Digg Submit "Ahh, the good old days!" to del.icio.us Submit "Ahh, the good old days!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ahh, the good old days!" to Google
Posted 03-24-2016 at 11:07 PM by ForeverRoyalKC

It was 1987 and my friend, David, had a new computer. Well...his parents had a new computer. Anyway, he invited me over all the time so we could play football with the original Madden NFL game. We played that for quite awhile until one day....he invited me over to play this new baseball game he had just got. It was Earl Weaver Baseball! We marveled at the opportunity to make our own all time all star teams and it didn't take us long to do so! I took the Kansas City Royals and he took the Chicago Cubs. Though I don't remember his team too well except for having Lou Gehrig at first base. My team went all out! I had George Brett at third base, Ty Cobb in center field, Mickey Mantle at DH. My team was staaaacked!
We played those all star teams for hours on end. I'm not kiddin'! We're talkin getting over to his house at oh...1pm, maybe 2. And me going home at 11pm or midnight! Nope...dinner was never considered or thought of.
But what made those hours so fun and missing dinner not so bad was the pages and pages of stats we printed off his...I mean his parents, new printer. We both had so many pages of stats and box scores from those games! I poured over them very carefully and with great thought. Was Brett in front of Ruth followed by Mantle working? Was Walter Johnson my number one starter or Cy Young? I juggled my lineup from time to time and then tried to stay with a consistent lineup. The detail in my team was gone over and over into the wee hours of a night / morning when I got home! If I hit a losing streak, I wanted to know why and right then!
Many laaaate nights were spent over Earl Weaver Baseball. And I'm glad that OOTP now exists. I have found that same fantasy opportunity that made my summer of 1987 special. I have a 1979 fantasy drafted Royals team and can feel the same feeling of fun I had then. I plan to take one of the actual MLB teams in 2017 (the actual year, not OOTP 17) and get down to more realistic brass tacks to win a championship.
But.....who knows....maybe someday I'll go all the way back to 1987 and see if The Georgia Peach and The Mullet can co exist once again.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 2533 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments