Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > History Campaign - All The Way From 1871

Rate this Entry

1875 - Opening Day Roster

Submit "1875 - Opening Day Roster" to Digg Submit "1875 - Opening Day Roster" to del.icio.us Submit "1875 - Opening Day Roster" to StumbleUpon Submit "1875 - Opening Day Roster" to Google
Posted 01-09-2017 at 03:03 AM by TheEquinox

Spring training is over and the cards are dealt. We really need to step it up this year, or I might have to find a new job pretty soon.

Hopefully, these guys are going to get it done:

With our new signing Jim H O'Rourke, I hope to see a big improvement on the catcher position. With Guzman leaving the club, minor leaguer Doug Allison will get a chance as Jim's backup.

On first base, we once again have lot of options to chose from. I'll try all these players out and see who is in best shape in the first few games. Tom Fisher fell behind our other LFs pretty badly, so he'll now try his luck on 1B until we find a suitable trade for him sooner rather than later. Juan Gonzalez and Charlie Gould are the two most likely to shine here on this position.

After Dick Higham's bad performance last season, I think it is time to give Nick Wehman more of a chance here. The guy came through our minor league system and has been a backup last year. He's shown some nice performances in his rookie season which surely deserve some more games this year. It's not unlikely he'll coast past Dick this season, if Dick continues his poor run of form.

Third base is obviously still covered by Levi Meyerle. He didn't have his best season last year, but he was still one of the best players in the league in the end and is surely one of MLB's biggest stars at this stage. Hopefully he'll be able to recover and find his old strength in the new season. I especially hired a new hitting coach which has a good relationship with Levi, so hopefully that will bring him back on track. Due to the lack of good alternatives on this position in our rosters, I decided to bring Dustin Birchfield back from the minors to act as Levi's backup. Hopefully, we won't have to use him...

Davy Force instantly became our best player after his move to Boston last year and there's absolutely no reason to change anything on the shortstop position. Again, hopefully minor league Carlos Guzman as his backup won't have to jump in anytime soon...

In the left field we are going into the season with Steve King, Bill Coello and Josh Brech. After Tom York's departure, our former backups will all get their chances to capture a regular seat on my lineup. If they all fail, we still got Tom Fisher as an emergency option.

The centre field will be headlined by our new signing Danny Tauer, who joined us from St. Louis this year. His batting skills are equally bad as those of his backup Dan Catron, but he is a little better defensively. I'm not convinced he's the final solution for this position, but there aren't many good CF's around at the moment, so he's probably the best option we could get here.

George Bechtel is an obvious pick one again in the right field. Besides Levi, he's the only one in our team who has provided above average performances in every season so far, so there's absolutely no reason to mix it up here. The high hopes I had for Carlos Tamayo seem to end in smoke as the young guy dropped down to 2 stars. However, his few performances last season weren't really bad, so I think he's still good enough as a backup here.

Let's have a look at the pitching staff:

I changed my mind here and pulled up our draft capture John Cassidy right away for his first pro season. I'm going to set a new trend here by pulling off the first 2-man rotation in MLB history. Obviously, this is going to blow Hugh Campbell's chances for another Cy Young award, but I think developing a new SP is more important here.

Further, I drastically cut down on RP's here. There's no point having 10 players occupying spots on my 25-man roster with still not that many games per season. Mike Edmunds and Joe Gonzales will have a few occasional appearances if one of our SPs has an off-day, but I think that's enough staff in the bullpen for now.

This concludes the opening day roster presentation. I think we've improved in a few positions - especially catcher and centre field. We'll have to see if we can compensate Tom York in the left field and whether or not our new SP John Cassidy can make a positive impact. The goal is to achieve a winning record with this team, otherwise my job might be in danger.

So let's go play some ball...
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments