Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Blogs > tylertoo
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Rate this Entry

Idea

Submit "Idea" to Digg Submit "Idea" to del.icio.us Submit "Idea" to StumbleUpon Submit "Idea" to Google
Posted 08-13-2010 at 02:33 PM by tylertoo

I conceived a grand, ambitious science fiction mod for OOTP 11. Then, when I realized how much work was entailed, and before I began a single bit of work, I scaled back the idea.

The original idea: Thousands of years in the future, humankind has been enslaved by a warmongering alien race, the Bylex, who have also defeated two other races.

Through the human, the Bylex discovered baseball and learned the game. Each year, the ruling Bylexian families hold a baseball tournament, with three divisions, each division made up of teams from one of the three enslaved races. The winning team of each race, and a wildcard team, battle for the championship while the Bylexian rulers watch, cheer, place bets, and imprison the losers.

Kind of the like the Romans would have done with their slaves if they'd had baseball.

The problems: God, where to begin. Four different races? Think of all the facegen. Just that alone is daunting. And the revisions to nations.txt, names.txt, etc etc. Handling four races, I quickly realized, would be too much for a first time modder.

Part of that realization came from Hawaiinsky, creater of the Bloodbowl OOTP dynasty Mage League Bloodball. He was kind enough to answer some basic questions, and clearly hinted that I was biting off more than I could chew, while still being encouraging.

So he saved me hours of work. I quickly scaled back my plans. The big change -- there would be simply two races, humans and the Bylex. The Bylex tournament will consist solely of teams of enslaved humans.

So I wrote out a general concept and got to work.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3222 Comments 0 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments