Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations Discuss historical and fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #1
markmcghee
Minors (Double A)

Pitchers' hold rating unusual

So far, in all the historical leagues I've created every pitcher has a hold rating of around 55. Some are higher some or a little lower. None are below 50. Not sure it this is a glitch or a setting I have set up wrong. I use the 1-100 scale since I'm too daft to understand the 20-80 scale. Anyone else see this?
markmcghee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #2
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I don't have 24 yet so can't address the pitcher question but concerning the 20-80 scale I find it strange. I use 1-20 which seems a good compromise between too much precision of 1-100 and not enough in 1-10.

Pirates Play Moneyball 1951 to 2008 46,000 views and counting!
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:45 PM   #3
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I posted this same information in your bug report, but I created a test historical league starting in 1950 with historical minors turned on and a 10-point rating scale. I am seeing the same thing you are. Nearly all pitchers on MLB rosters have a hold rating of 6 or 7 on a 10-point scale, and the exceptions are limited. There were some that had higher hold ratings, including one pitcher with a 10, but they were very few. There were several others that had ratings of around 2 or 3, but all of those cases were pitchers where it looks like the database merger screwed up their minor league stats, potentially causing OOTP to miscalculate or mishandle their hold ratings.

It seems to me that something drastically changed with hold ratings, perhaps by design. These ratings have always been randomized as far as I can tell, so they've never been a realistic representation of how well pitchers held baserunners in real life. But however they are being generated, if there is going to be this much uniformity, it will render the hold ratings largely meaningless. Also, it will likely impact stolen base attempts and success rates pretty significantly.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote