Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations

OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations Discuss historical and fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:02 AM   #21
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 5 of 162

April 14, 1985: Chicago White Sox (1-2) @ Boston Red Sox (4-0)

Ahhh, the essence of winning - it would be so good if you could bottle it and just dab a bit behind your ears as you left your locker every game. Still, things are pretty buzzy around the place with us four-from-four.

Britt Burns and the White Sox will be trying to shatter that illusion today. I've never faced Britt before - he's been with the ChiSox his entire 8-year career and we just musta missed each other last season. He's mighty tough on lefties, apparently, so I've got my work cut out for me today. Good old Brucie Kison up for us.

Bill Buckner YTD stats entering the game

Game Recap

They get at Bruce early, though, as Pudge says hello with a 2nd-inning 2-run big fly and they score 4 all up to put us back on our heels a bit. Two hits to lead off the next for them and then, when Bruce plunks Carlton fair in the back, it looks for a second like things are going to get unruly before Pudge calmly takes his base to load ‘em up with none out. Bruce does well to only give up one more but we’ve got some chasing to do at 0-5.

I get a hit my first time up and even somehow manage to swipe second, with the ankles feeling OK today, but they leave me stranded there like Robinson Crusoe.

The game is all but done as we implode in the next. A Tony Armas gaffe puts the leadoff man aboard and Mac has seen enough, switching out Kison for Mike Trujillo, making his first-ever appearance in the bigs. Might be his last as well, as he promptly gives up a single, a double and a 2-run bomb to Greg Walker and suddenly it’s an embarrassing 0-9. Where’s that bottle of win juice now?

I finally put us on the board with a jack to lead off the 5th and Boggs adds a second with a two-out single after Geds had doubled. We inch closer again as Armas goes solo yard and I keep my perfect game going with another hit. This time, however, they are onto me and I end the inning by getting caught trying to steal second. Suddenly the wheels don’t feel quite so pain-free. Run Rickey, I ain’t.

But this is just a messy old game by our lads as they tack on another run in the next, helped by Tony’s second error when he tries to throw out the runner at home.

We exchange a late run apiece (Armas putting on full display the erratic life of a professional ballplayer by belting his second solo HR) and I make my first out of the game in the 9th as we cop a good old-fashioned hiding.

Best Performances, News & Highlights of the Day

• That shutout by Seattle's Mike Moore is his second straight to start the season. The loss by Boston leaves the Cubs as the only unbeaten team.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: Mike Trujillo, Tom Klawitter
  • Daily Notes: NIL

Building a (Bay) Bridge is an A's Do-Over from 1968.

The AtHoL is an RD league.

The EL flips the colour line on its ear.

The MSL is an Indy / MLB hybrid.

The Everyman League (EML) is a baseball utopia!

And my mods and NeL project.

Last edited by luckymann; 11-19-2022 at 01:22 AM.
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:03 AM   #22
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

That's a bit scary, isn't it - the similarity between the real deal and simmed version, right down to Trujillo giving up 4 runs in 3 IP.

Old 11-19-2022, 12:11 AM   #23
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Players of Week 1

Old 11-19-2022, 01:19 AM   #24
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 6 of 162

April 15, 1985: Chicago White Sox (2-1) @ Boston Red Sox (4-1)

Keen to rebound strongly today after yesterday’s horror show and it looks like Bruce Kison was pitching hurt – he’s set to miss about a month or so it seems. Anyway, it’s Bruce Hurst back on the hill for us today against my old mate Terrific Tom Seaver. At 40, Tom may have lost a bit of zip off his number one, but he is still extremely effective and will take some beating. He and I are close friends, having played against each other for all those years, and I get him up to my farm in the offseason when the stars align. That doesn’t change how we play against each other – well, maybe it makes us try even harder so we got something to ride the other about when we’re hanging out. Have to concede Tom’s had a bit better of it over the years. In 99 plate appearances – second only of all pitchers behind Knucksie Niekro, in fact – he’s held me to a 244 average with just 7 RBI and not a one home run. Hmmmm. Wind's blowing out today, so let's see him try to groove one past me - I'll give that boy whiplash!

Game Recap

They fly out of the blocks again, tagging Bruce for three in the top 1st on homers to Scott Fletcher and Harold Baines. That’s the last thing you want is to give Tom an early stake and he comes out looking sharp, totally fooling me in the 2nd as I ground out U3 to close the frame. I don’t help our cause in the next as a grounder I shoulda swallowed up to end the inning goes straight through my legs – never had that happen before but it gifts them an unearned run to go four clear. I'll never hear the end of that one from Mr Seaver.

I square the ledger in the 4th, however, singling one in with two out after Dewey Evans had smacked a solo homer to get us on the scoresheet. We’ve cut the deficit in half to 4-2 and given Tom something to chew on.

That gap becomes just the one when, after he gets me to ground out to second, Tommy leaves one up in the zone and Marty Barrett – not known for his power – deposits it on top of the Monster by about a foot or so. Once again, though, we’re our own worst enemies as Glenn Hoffman, just in the game for Jackie Gutierrez, boots one with two out in the 8th and a run comes in to make it 5-3. Three errors and just four hits for us to this point, not good enough by half.

We’re still down by 2 going into the 9th as Tom comes out in favour of closer Bob James, with me set to lead it off. He leaves one a bit too far over the plate but I just miss it and can do no better than send Ron Kittle to the warning track before it falls harmlessly into his glove. Geds and pinch-hitter Steve Lyons – in his first-ever MLB at-bat – can’t do no better and we drop another one.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: Steve Lyons, Bill Latham
  • Daily Notes: IRL, Jackie Robinson made his MLB debut on this day in 1947.

Old 11-22-2022, 05:44 AM   #25
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 7 of 162

April 16, 1985: Boston Red Sox (4-2) @ Kansas City Royals (4-1)

We head off for our first roadtrip of the season, a Midwest swing starting with a trio at KC, who have flown out of the blocks at 4-1 and are considered one of the stronger hopes in the AL this year. Young lefty Danny Jackson up for the Royals and he is a good one in the making. I’ve only faced him in the one game last year, with a popout and a walk the result. Rocket back up for us tonight and it looks as if runs will be a precious commodity indeed in this one.

Game Recap

Helped by an errant pickoff throw, they get one early and their speed on the paths already has us in a bit of a tizz. We hit straight back, however, with a deuce in the next with the runs driven in by Armas and Geds, and me helping keep the runners moving with a crisp one-out single. So much for a low-scoring affair, hey?!

My old mate Georgie Brett – another who comes to stay at the farm during the offseason – singles and scores to tie it up on a double by Jorge Orta in the 3rd and they go ahead in the next with two more, after we get a couple hits – I ground out to 1B – but do nothing with them in the top half.

The contest continues to seesaw as we leapfrog them with 3 in the 5th. Armas leads off with a hit and I double him around to third. He comes in on a groundout by Marty Barrett and then I score as well on a long single to Boggs. Dewey Evans then doubles in the go-ahead run with two out.

That knocks Jackson out and they replace him with Mike Jones, another southpaw. We take a shine to him straightaways, pounding him with 4 runs on 4 hits to make it 9-4. I get my third hit of the game, singling in Glenn Hoffman after he’d led it off with a trip.

They keep at us and, when Roger gives up another run in the home half, Mac goes to the BP with Mark Clear coming on in relief. I cancel that out with a sweet solo jack, leaving me needing just a triple for the cycle if I get another go and someone younger’n me lends me their legs. As it turns out, I don’t get another chance as we take it 10 to 5. Still, one of my best games so far for the Sox and a nice win on the road.

• The Cubs remain unbeaten, the Braves winless.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: NIL

Old 11-23-2022, 09:49 AM   #26
CHOWDERHEAD
Hall Of Famer

luckymann - just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading your franchise/adventure/replay threads -- you do such an outstanding job on them!
Old 11-23-2022, 04:30 PM   #27
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOWDERHEAD View Post
luckymann - just want to let you know how much I enjoy reading your franchise/adventure/replay threads -- you do such an outstanding job on them!
Thank you sir, I get so much enjoyment out of doing them but it's nice to know people like them.

Let's see if we can get these '85 Sox to perform a miracle!

G

Old 11-24-2022, 04:25 AM   #28
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 8 of 162

April 17, 1985: Boston Red Sox (5-2) @ Kansas City Royals (4-2)

Well let’s hope I didn’t leave all my form out on the field last night because we’re up against old Charlie Liebrandt tonight and I haven’t been able to get a hit off him in 11 goes so far. In fact, if memory serves I ain’t even put proper wood to nary a pitch of his. He’s a wily old fox, our Charles, and we’ll be up against it for sure. With Bruce Kison on the DL, we’ve got Al Nipper making his first appearance for the year and Al’s got plenty of his own tricks to call on as well.

Game Recap

They open the scoring with an early one in the 1st but we get it straight back as Marty Barrett, our hottest bat to this point, doubles one in for us in the 2nd. I meekly pop out to shallow LF and follow that with another soft out in the 4th as Charlie continues his sway over me.

They edge back in front in the home half of that one on a leadoff jack by Bye-Bye Balboni, who then repeats the dose in the 6th to make it 3-1.

Again we have the ready reply as I finally get onto one for my 4th homer of the season to get us back within a run, then Marty doubles and scores on a Jackie G seeing-eye single to make it a tie game once more.

With it still 3-3 halfway through the 8th, Bobby Ojeda comes on to replace Al. Then Dan Quisenberry replaces Charlie in the 9th and I manage to get a walk but the boys can’t bring me around. It goes into extras with Steve Crawford entering the game in the home 10th and Joe Beckwith coming in for them to start the 12th, with me leading off. But I can only ground out 4-3.

On it goes, with us lucky to escape a couple jams, and nearly going in front ourselves in the 13th when I double off Steve Farr with two out but we end up leaving them loaded. It lasts until the 15th when we can’t hold them off and Willie Wilson wins it with a one-out single to send the home crowd into raptures. Disappointing, but you can’t win ‘em all.

• With a 4-3 home win over the Reds, the Braves break their drought. The Cubs win again.

The Real Deal

Last edited by luckymann; 11-24-2022 at 04:47 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:27 AM   #29
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 9 of 162

April 18, 1985: Boston Red Sox (5-3) @ Kansas City Royals (5-2)

The final game in this road series at KC sees Oil Can Boyd back on for us against Bud Black, against whom I’ve little experience – just 1-for-4 in a 6-1 loss to them last year. Far from overwhelming stuff on the menu tonight, but he sure can paint those corners. It has been raining most of the day, so we’re gonna have our work cut out for us on defence tonight – not exactly a tantalising thought for yours truly. That said, the legs have been feeling pretty good so far. Let’s hope that continues.

Game Recap

We put one in the frame early when Dewey Evans whacks a solo jack in the 1st and another in the next when backup catcher Marc Sullivan singles in his first AB for the season. I open the game by whiffing, not too auspicious.

They get to Can big time in the third, with four straight singles and five hits in all that allow them to pass us with a 3-spot, but we get things back on even terms in the 4th when I lead off with a single and eventually come in on another hit by Sullivan with two out. He’s making himself right at home.

The tie holds until the 6th, when – after Tony Armas and myself go down quietly – we put together a two-out rally and score one on a Gutierrez double. But then Can flags in the bottom half and they chase him with another 3-run inning, with a 2-run bomb by Buddy Biancalana making the most noise.

In the 8th, I knock Black out of the game with my second single of the night, and Boggsy scores me with a single after Sullivan walks. We fill em up but Jim Rice just can’t get the big hit we need and we strand all three.

Still, this group’s got no give in em and we manage to somehow get it to 6-6 with a run in the top 9th on three singles wrapped around a flyout by me, with Marty Barrett knocking in the run. For a second straight game, spares are necessary.

We waste no time blowing it wide open with 5 in the 10th. Steve Lyons singles one in, I get myself a ribbie with a sac fly, and then Geds comes off the bench and smokes a 3-run downtowner to make it 11-6. Mark Clear gives up 2 but in the end it’s a bridge too far and we get one of those wins that can really put the wind in your sails. What a fantastic series between two evenly-matched sides.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: Vince Coleman
  • Daily Notes: On this day in 1981, the Pawtucket Red Sox and Rochester Red Wings of the International League start what will become the longest game in baseball history - a 33-inning beast that the Red Sox eventually win in June after it is suspended after 32. All up, the game time exceeds 8 hours. Both Marty Barrett and Wade Boggs play in the game, as does Cal Ripken jr.

Last edited by luckymann; 11-25-2022 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:08 AM   #30
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 10 of 162

April 19, 1985: Boston Red Sox (6-3) @ Chicago White Sox (3-4)

Ahhh, ChiTown - always mixed emotions for me when I come here. Not sure what it would be like going back to Wrigley - but I'd be willing to try if it meant we were playing the Cubs in a World Series! Anyway, White Sox fans give me doubly what for as both a former Cub and current Red Sock, which usually makes for a few laughs because it's done very much tongue-in-cheek over on this side of town. A 100-year-plus inferiority complex will do that to you, I guess.

Mike Trujillo on for us in this one making his first start for the year up against Britt Burns. Certainly a spring in our step after that great win last night – let’s see if that translates into a good performance on the field. Big Friday night crowd in attendance means the air is electric.

Game Recap

A slow start to this one with barely a baserunner thru three. Jim Rice then gets us off and running with a leadoff homer in the 4th, by the end of which I’m already 0-for-2. Pudge repays us in kind with a similar strike in the bottom half to get it back to level and you just know how much he enjoyed that one.

Not sure he’d have liked the 3-spot we put up in the next quite as much, though, with Boggsy doubling in a deuce and the other one scoring on a sac fly by Dewey Evans. They bounce straight back again, however, with two of their own on two hits and a Marty Barrett error when one just kinda eats him up. Then we erase those out as Tony Armas triples to lead off the 5th and I single him in, then come all the way around and finally score with two out as Marty squares the ledger with a clutch single.

Pudge goes solo yard again in the 8th to welcome Bob Stanley who is brought on to replace Trujillo who has been real gutsy despite not being sharp. But we just seem to have all the answers at the moment and push back out with one in the top 9th as Wade gets his third hit and ribbie for the game, before Mark Clear closes it out for the 7-4 win.

• The Cubs drop their first game of the year, 4-3 at Montreal - with all four runs coming in the bottom 9th and Hubie Brooks the walkoff hero.

The Real Deal

Old 11-26-2022, 07:20 AM   #31
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 11 of 162

April 20, 1985: Boston Red Sox (7-3) @ Chicago White Sox (3-5)

A top of the rotation clash tonight between Bruce Hurst and Tom Seaver, meaning runs should be at a premium you’d have to think. Tom, of course, got the win over Bruce at Fenway earlier in the week. We’ll see if we can repay the favour here tonight.

Game Recap

Things start positively enough as we tag Tommy for two in the top 1st on back-to-back solo jacks by Boggsy and Dewey. Wade told me last year that the only time he ever goes up looking to hit one out is if the bases are empty, and he must have got his pitch here tonight.

I lead off the 2nd and get aboard when Julio Cruz boots one that had me beat easy, but I don’t even advance a base as the next three all fly out harmlessly. Bruce looks sharp and we give him two more to use as he pleases in the 3rd on another longball, this time by Jim Rice. The inning ends with Mike Easler stuck at third when I ground out to first.

Seems we’ve got Tommy’s measure tonight as he serves up yet another 2-run gopher to Mike Easler in the next after their second error of the game had put Jim Ed aboard. That does it for Mr Seaver, and his replacement Joel Davis gets me to close another frame with a weak popout to 1B on one that completely fools me.

The wind is blowing out tonight and boy are we making the most of it as Geds bombs out another one to lead off the 6th and then Tony Armas also goes solo deep in the one after that to put us up by eight. My poor game continues as I hit a line drive straight to their CF Luis Salazar to end the 7th.

The rout is complete when Dewey wallops a slam to make it 12-0 after eight, with Bruce working a lovely one-hitter. They add a second hit in the 8th but our bats are sizzling tonight as Armas puts yet another one in the seats and Bruce eventually has to settle for a 3-hit shutout win.

Looks like the boys mean business this year.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: Vince Coleman
  • Daily Notes: On this day in 1912, after three rainouts have delayed its opening, the first-ever game is played at Fenway Park. Boston needs 11 to see off the Yankees (still the Highlanders at this point) 7-6, with Tris Speaker knocking in the winning run.
  • Pittsburgh trades cult hero and fan favourite Kent Tekulve to the Phillies for Al Holland, who later in the year will form part of a huge swap between the Pirates and the Angels that also involves John Candelaria and George Hendrick.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:26 AM   #32
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 12 of 162

April 21, 1985: Boston Red Sox (8-3) @ Chicago White Sox (3-6)

Our Skipper John McNamara went to great pains at the morning team meeting to ensure our heads were in today’s game and not beyond it to the lay day and subsequent visit to Yankee Stadium. We need to keep the momentum we’ve got going revved up past the redline for when we take on our old foes, especially on their home turf.

Rocket Clemens has the job of sending us to the Big Apple on a winning wave, and he’s taking on yet another southpaw in Tim Lollar—a guy who has easily had the better of me so far, keeping me to just 4 measly singles in 24 AB dating back to 1981 when he was at San Diego and I was, of course, with the Cubbies.

Game Recap

We get the ideal start, posting a 3-spot in the 1st on a 2-run monster jam from Jim Rice and a dinky little Texas League RBI single from yours truly. Hey, it looks like a line drive in the box score! Things go quiet for a while and I make a straightforward flyout in the 3rd, but then we tack three more onto our lead in the next on three hits and I add a second ribbie via a sac fly.

Jerry Don Gleaton starts the 6th for them in relief and they get on the board in the bottom half on a 2-run double from good old Pudge, just their third hit of the game. Goes to show the importance of timing in this game.

One of the things we’ve been so good at in these early weeks is bouncing straight back when we get scored on, and we do it again here with 2 in the top 7th. I get on with a walk but am retired on a fielder’s choice.

But Roger just seems to lose his way a bit and they pounce, loading them up and then plating all three on a long double by Rudy Law. Suddenly it is 8-5 and they’ve got the run of it.

Mac sticks with Rocket, who gets a scoreless 8th and then I get on again in the 9th with a one-out single, but we can’t do nothin with it. Rog holds his nerve, however, and closes it out for our fourth straight. Not pretty, but it counts just the same in the W column.

The Real Deal

Last edited by luckymann; 11-29-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:29 AM   #33
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Players of Week 2

Old 11-29-2022, 11:32 PM   #34
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Lay Day

April 22, 1985: No game scheduled

The Real Deal

• Daily Notes: On this day in 1914, Babe Ruth plays his first professional game as a pitcher, throwing a six-hit shutout for the Baltimore Orioles against the Buffalo Bisons. The second batter Ruth faces is Joe McCarthy, the manager he will play for 17 years later with the Yankees. Ruth is also 2 for 4 at the plate.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:03 AM   #35
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 13 of 162

April 23, 1985: Boston Red Sox (9-3) @ New York Yankees (4-6)

Well, kids, this is what it is all about – the big house, the one Ruth built. Three here kick off a tricky little stretch for us that ends up over at Oakland in early May. Playing a bunch of games in a row with no break is one thing. Doing so from one side of the country to the other like we’re about to is something completely different. Especially for the old cats like me.

Oil Can Boyd gets the ball tonight up against Joe Cowley, who has owned me so far with ten outs from ten, covering last season and back in ’82 when he was with the Braves. Not even a cheeky HBP to my name against him. Let’s fix that, then, shall we?

Game Recap

A 2-run trip in the 1st by Tony Armas gets us off and running, but I can only ground out to 3B to end the inning and leave him ashore. Boggsy stretches our lead in the next with a run-scoring single after Geds had led it off with a two-bagger.

Can doesn’t give up a hit until the 4th but Cowley has settled right down, too, and they get on the board in the 5th when Winfield singles and Pagliarulo doubles him in. Only a force out at home keeps it at just the one.

I get a base on balls in the 6th (having flown out back in the 4th), but we can’t advance me any further than second. We do, however, get our 3-run cushion back in the next on a Dewey Evans single—and lucky we do because Dennis serves up a hanger to Butch Wynegar in the 7th with a man aboard and suddenly it’s 4 to 3.

Bob Shirley comes into the game for the Yanks and, after we each have a scoreless 8th, Dave Righetti then takes over and we manage to get an insurance run off him, before I end the inning with a deep fly to dead CF.

Just as we think we’re home free, all hell breaks loose.

I hate second-guessing our mighty Skipper especially given how much I admire Mac’s belief in our starting pitchers and his adherence to the old-school mentality of You started it, You finish it. But I can't help wonder what makes him step away from it here. Boyd is up to 115 pitches, which may be the deciding factor. And Steve Crawford has been so reliable for us. So, there’s plenty of potential reasons for it.

Whatever they might be, the strategy doesn’t pay off tonight.

Catcher Ron Hassey can take most of the credit for their comeback when he fouls off pitch after pitch and eventually works a 12-pitch walk to lead it off. We put ourselves right under the pump when Boggsy muffs a fairly routine DP ball, bringing the winning run to the plate. After Ken Griffey fans, Pagliarulo singles to load them up. We look like we’ve got ourselves out of the jam when Crawf gets Wynegar to fly out to RF, too shallow to score anyone, for out number two. But then Bob Meacham chops one off the plate and beats it out, scoring a run to make it 5-4 and that’s it for Steve, with Bob Stanley called upon to get that final out.

It never comes.

Rickey Henderson – one of the hardest outs this game has ever known with perhaps the smallest strike zone in history – works his way back from 0-2 to a full count with a couple real close calls going his way like they usually do, then slaps a long single into the gap in left to score two for a walkoff win. I’ve heard some noise in my time, but rarely if ever as much as the Yankee fans make when their boys pull off this Houdini Act. Don't fancy ever hearing as much again, if it's all the same to you - especially in NYC.

This one’ll sting for a while.

• A similar fate befalls the White Sox as their Red-Stockinged brethren, with Milwaukee scoring a run in the 9th and then three in the 11th to pinch one off them at Comiskey.
  • California's Bob Kipper kicks off his MLB career in fine style, shutting out the A's on 6 hits in a 3-0 win in Anaheim.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: Teddy Higuera
  • Daily Notes: On this day in 1954, Hank Aaron hits his first career home run off Vic Raschi. Twenty-six years later, in 1980, current BOS pitcher Bruce Kison has a no-no broken up with one out in the 9th by a double to Minnesota's Ken Landreaux.

Last edited by luckymann; 11-30-2022 at 01:26 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 03:49 AM   #36
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 14 of 162

April 24, 1985: Boston Red Sox (9-4) @ New York Yankees (5-6)

Pretty flat old bunch after last night’s loss and it will take a big effort to lift us back where we need to be. In a season as long as ours, you can’t afford to neither dwell nor dream. Staying in the moment and living that old cliché of taking it one game at a time truly is the best way. Or rather, the only one if you want to get the job done.

Al Nipper taking on Louisiana Lightnin’ himself, Ron Guidry tonight. Man, he’s a good’un. I’ve only faced him the once, getting two singles in four tries when they gave us a lickin’ last year.

Game Recap

As is so often the case, the Yanks kick us when we’re down with a 4-run 1st as Ken Griffey has a bases-clearing double. A Tony Armas leadoff jack gets one of them back in the next, with my first AB of the night ending in a flyout to shallow left, and then we come alive with 4 of our own in the 4th to go ahead. Back-to-back run-scoring doubles to Armas and myself, along with back-to-back RBI singles to Sullivan and Boggs do the damage.

Rickey Henderson pretty much creates the tying run off his own back as he walks, steals both second and third then comes in on a sac fly by Don Mattingly. That’s all for Al as Rob Woodward takes over.

He immediately gets into strife as they tag him for a deuce in the bottom 6th to make it 7-5 and they miss a chance to blow it wide open by leaving the bags full.

We post a late run and load them up ourselves in the 9th, but Righetti fans both Glenn Hoffman and then Armas to give them the win.

• The Mets score 2 in the top 9th to break a scoreless deadlock with the Cards, only to then give up 3 and lose a heartbreaker.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: Ty Gainey

Old 12-03-2022, 01:34 AM   #37
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 15 of 162

April 25, 1985: Boston Red Sox (9-5) @ New York Yankees (6-6)

Looking tonight to at least get something out of what has so far been a tough first visit for the year to Yankee Stadium. We’ve got to do so against Knucksie, never an easy man to get the better of. We do have Bruce Hurst up, though, which definitely improves our chances.

Game Recap

We get the sort of positive start we were looking for in the top 1st, tagging Phil for four on four hits including an RBI double from yours truly, but the Yanks come storming back in the 3rd with a tre thanks in a large part to a 2-run single by Wynegar.

I lead off the 5th with a walk and eventually score on a sharp single by Geds, then Mattingly returns it to a one-run game in the 6th with a leadoff jack.

Niekro is gone after six, relieved by Marty Bystrom and Wynegar, who has driven us to distraction this series, gets him off the L hook with a solo shot in the 7th to knot things up at 5 apiece, chasing Hurst in the process as Clear comes into the game.

After I strike out swinging to get the 9th underway, Geds puts our noses back in front as he triples and scores on a Steve Lyons double, capping off a big game for him. Bob Stanley gives up a two-out hit to Willie Randolph but that’s it as Steve Crawford shuts them down and we get home 6-5.

The Real Deal

Old 12-04-2022, 06:56 AM   #38
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1: Game 16 of 162

April 26, 1985: Kansas City Royals (9-5) @ Boston Red Sox (10-5)

Three-game stopoff against KC at The Fen before we go Westward, Ho! For the first time this season. It’s good to be home, albeit briefly, to see the Monster and all the other familiar sights and sounds here.

It’s a big one tonight with Rocket Clemens and Mark Gubicza, two of the league’s best young arms, set to go head-to-head. Almost feels like the rest of us are passengers. We’ll see if we can elbow our way in and break up the pitchers’ party, shall we? I actually did OK against Goob the three times we met him last year in his rookie season, getting three hits and a walk in 9 PAs. Something along similar lines would be just dandy.

Game Recap

Matty Barrett gets the scoring underway in the 2nd, singling in Tony Armas to give us the lead. I can only advance him from second to third via a groundout, but I guess that’s better than not moving him at all.

Roger’s looking nice and sharp, and we give him some more wiggle room with a big 5th in which we add four more runs to our score. I am one of them but only because I got aboard on a fielder’s choice. I did, however, get a double in the 3rd.

Gubicza leaves the game as this is happening, replaced by Mark Huismann.

Rocket just takes his foot off the gas a bit and pays the price for it in the next as they get on the board with a pair. But that only snaps him back into focus and he ends up going the distance and allows just 7 hits as we win it 5 to 2. A late single off Huismann gives me a 2-for-4 night with a swipe thrown in for good measure.

• The Rangers' Buddy Bell cracks his 2000th career hit in a 5-4 win against Toronto.

The Real Deal

• Daily Notes: Today marks three years since Wade Boggs got his first hit in the bigs off Chicago's Rich Dotson.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #39
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1, 1985: Game 17 of 162

April 27, 1985: Kansas City Royals (9-6) @ Boston Red Sox (11-5)

We get another crack at Danny Jackson here, although I don’t like our – or my, for that matter – chances of having it quite so easy tonight as we did against him in KC last week. Al Nipper up for us and still looking for his first decision of the year.

Game Recap

The pitchers control things early until, just when it looks like this is going to be a low-scoring affair, Nips gets the wobs in the 4th and Mac obviously doesn’t like what he is seeing, as he rips Al outta there and puts Rob Woodward in. That doesn’t help matters one bit, as they eventually score 3 runs on 3 hits – two of them on a two-out hit by Onix Concepcion – to take the lead.

The wheels fall off completely for us in the next, as the Royals break it wide open with another 4 runs with Frank White doubling in three of them.

We finally get a run in the 6th on a Dewey Evans single, but Jackson exacts his revenge for that earlier blowout loss, going the distance and giving up just four hits in a 9-1 laugher that we don’t find amusing at all. I fail to get the ball out of the infield in three tries, GIDPing in one of them.

A dirty night all round.

• Bob Dernier has 5 hits to help his Cubs trounce the Phils 10-1.

The Real Deal

• Daily Notes: On this day in 1968, the BoSox are on the receiving end of a no-hitter by Baltimore's Tom Phoebus.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:16 PM   #40
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Anatomy Volume 1, 1985: Game 18 of 162

April 28, 1985: Kansas City Royals (10-6) @ Boston Red Sox (11-6)

Our final game against the Royals here at home before we hit the road sees Oil Can Boyd face off with Charlie Liebrandt. Be good to stick a W in our pockets to munch on during the trip west. Looks like a nice Sunday night crowd in attendance to see us off.

Game Recap

Things begin promisingly enough as I get the scoring underway in the 2nd, leading off with a hit and coming home on a single by Glenn Hoffman, in today to give Marty Barrett a rest. A two-out RBI single by Tony Armas doubles our lead in the next, an inning I bring to a close with a weak groundout.

Georgie Brett sparks the Royals to life in the next, doubling and scoring on a single by Balboni – a combination you’d have to think they’ll be expecting to see plenty of this season. Bye Bye chimes in again a couple innings later with a run-scoring double to knot it at 2 and when Sundberg triples and scores on a hit by Pat Sheridan in the 7th, we’ve fallen behind.
Not for long, though, as we put together a nice rally in the home half and post a 3-spot to retake the lead. Boggs singles one in and Rice another two, and I get aboard on a HBP but am left at second.

With us still two to the good entering the 9th, Steve Crawford comes in to save it, and does so with a 1-2-3 inning.

• Plenty of close contests, with the Indians, A's, Yankees, Blue Jays, Cardinals and Cubs all winning extra-inning games.

The Real Deal

• MLB Debuts: Rich Thompson, Urbano Lugo
  • Daily Notes: On this day in 1929, the Red Sox lose 7-3 to the Philadelphia Athletics in their first-ever Sunday home game that, due to Fenway Park's proximity to a church, is played at Commonwealth Park instead.