Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 24 > OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 24 - Historical & Fictional Simulations Discuss historical and fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:31 AM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryShoe View Post
I admire your heart. Dick Billings as your catcher reminded me that he complained to Billy Martin about his slot in the batting order, saying "Ted Williams used to bat me cleanup", to which Martin said "Maybe that's why Ted Williams isn't here anymore". The year after your project this team was managed by 2 of the best managers in the next decade and change, Whitey Herzog and Martin, for a combined 56-105...but professional backup catcher Del Wilbur was undefeated (at 1-0).
It's scary when you go to Baseball Reference and look at the 1972 Rangers stats. Team hit .217 with 56 home runs. Using 3 year recalc so I have to cross my fingers that some of Jeff Burroughs 1973 will bleed into this 1972 season. Otherwise, I'm screwed in the power department. I've been platooning Don Mincher and Frank Howard at 1B, their combined ages equals 69 years old. Mincher has been decent so far, Hondo has been awful. Think I'm going to stick Ted Ford in RF on a regular basis and platoon Larry Biittner and Jeff Burroughs in LF.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-22-2023 at 11:40 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:44 AM   #22
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Got a note from Payton(GM) last night telling me I need to try and do a better job of using my entire roster. I'm at my second job right now and I can't even remember the first name of the guy Payton gave me as a backup at 1B. I know his last name is Harrison. I've also buried Tom Ragland on the bench and Payton suggested I get the guy into a few games here and there. Payton is also griping about my use of the bullpen, or it could be my lack of use that's getting under my skin. I told him to cool his jets as right now the off days and the fact that our starters have been going deep into games has made the need for relief pitchers less urgent. I doubt that will stay the course and soon I will be griping to him that I need more arms.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:52 AM   #23
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

The first game in our 4 game set against the Angels did not go well. Don Mincher got us a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first with his 2nd home run of the season. From that point on, our offense was unable to get anything going against Nolan Ryan. By the end of 7.2 innings, Ryan had notched 12 strike outs. Fisher came in and finished us off picking up the save. The big blow for the Angels was a 3 run home run off the bat of catcher John Stephenson in the 2nd inning. The Angels added another run in the 3rd and from that point on the games scoring was wrapped up.

Bill Gogolewski picked up his first loss, but he still pitched a solid game and I was impressed with his ability to move past that one mistake to Stephenson and keep the game close. Casey Cox relieved Gogolewski after Bill was lifted for a pinch hitter and was very solid in relief.

Changed the order a little for this game with Dave Nelson moving to leadoff and Toby Harrah into the 2nd slot in the order. Nelson got on base 2 times during the game and stole a couple bases. I moved Elliott Maddox down to 7th in the order. Maddox is starting to show signs of coming out of his awful slump and if he does it will be a huge boost.

I think for now I will platoon Larry Biittner and Jeff Burroughs in LF and play Ted Ford in RF.

We fall to 5-8 on the season, only a 1/2 game out of last place. Ugh! We have 3 more against the Angels before facing the Tigers. We need these next 3 big time.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-23-2023 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #24
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Plus, I have the added fear of at some point my GM is going to send me Lenny Randle and I will have to worry each and every day about getting my butt kicked. I've actually been taking karate lessons to try and prepare myself.
Few now recall that attack on Frank Lucchesi, a good guy and a good manager.

Does the game allow you to have any input as field manager on what the GM does? I am thinking no.

I’m playing with the 1971 Phillies, and I lost track but have made at least twenty-five large and small roster moves. Of course I have the advantage of knowing the Roger Freed and Ron Stone and Denny Doyle would never amount to much. Though I play with high TCR, so who knows?
Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:50 AM   #25
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Few now recall that attack on Frank Lucchesi, a good guy and a good manager.

Does the game allow you to have any input as field manager on what the GM does? I am thinking no.

I’m playing with the 1971 Phillies, and I lost track but have made at least twenty-five large and small roster moves. Of course I have the advantage of knowing the Roger Freed and Ron Stone and Denny Doyle would never amount to much. Though I play with high TCR, so who knows?
Nope the GM is going to do what the GM is going to do.

Ugh, I forgot to check last night how Bill Madlock is doing in the minors. My biggest fear each day I play right now, is getting the message that my GM has traded Madlock for a bag of socks and a used hair brush.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:11 PM   #26
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Rich Hand stopped the losing streak with a solid game against the Angels in game 2 of the series. Over 7.1 innings Hand allowed 8 hits, 4 walks, but only 1 run. Hand notched 5 strikeouts. Hand is now 1-2, 2.35 on the season. Paul Linblad relieved Hand with 1 out in the 8th and pitched hitless ball striking out 2 to earn his first save. The Vic Harris hit his 2nd home run in the 4th inning, a solo shot to put the Rangers up 2-0. Jim Spencer went 3-4 for the Angels and drove in California's only run.

We are now 6-8 on the season.
Old 05-26-2023, 03:58 AM   #27
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Rich Hand stopped the losing streak with a solid game against the Angels in game 2 of the series. Over 7.1 innings Hand allowed 8 hits, 4 walks, but only 1 run. Hand notched 5 strikeouts. Hand is now 1-2, 2.35 on the season. Paul Linblad relieved Hand with 1 out in the 8th and pitched hitless ball striking out 2 to earn his first save. The Vic Harris hit his 2nd home run in the 4th inning, a solo shot to put the Rangers up 2-0. Jim Spencer went 3-4 for the Angels and drove in California's only run.

We are now 6-8 on the season.
Pretty good given everything. Losing Madlock hurts. One legit player.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:26 AM   #28
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
Pretty good given everything. Losing Madlock hurts. One legit player.
Haven't lost Madlock yet, just keep thinking it will happen. I know think positive, think positive.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:45 AM   #29
Pelican
Hall Of Famer

Definitely give Davey Nelson a chance. I acquired him for my 1971 Phillies, and he has been a valuable bench guy and sometime-starter at 2B. Really fast and a great base-stealer. Hitting better and with more power than I expected (.327/.377/.462 in 37 games with 14 SB). But he is weak in the field, and his 39 (out of 100) eye rating is dreadful, for a guy who should lead off. Mystifies me that his "bunt for hit" rating is only 47, given his 90 speed and 90 base running. I know it's a distinct skill; but it's one he should have developed.
Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote