Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 22 > OOTP 22 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 22 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new 2021 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
ronnieh
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Spanish letters in Reports

We just converted our online league to 22 this weekend. I generated and uploaded reports for the first time on 22. All of the Spanish characters in the uploaded reports are "corrupted" for lack of a better word. For instance, Jose Gonzalez name looks like José Gonzáles

Has anyone experienced this or have thoughts on a setting that might need to get tweeked?
ronnieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
ronnieh
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'll answer my own question here in case anyone else comes across this. Solution is copying Templates folder from data to league folder, modifying the head_bits.tpl file and adding a meta tag:

<meta charset="UTF-8" />
ronnieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
brotherblues
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnieh View Post
I'll answer my own question here in case anyone else comes across this. Solution is copying Templates folder from data to league folder, modifying the head_bits.tpl file and adding a meta tag:

<meta charset="UTF-8" />
So just adding that line makes all the weird names go away? And you just discovered and did that on your own?
brotherblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 01:04 AM   #4
mtopham
Minors (Double A)

Can there be some confirmation on this? It has annoyed the s**t out of me for years!
Old 08-19-2021, 03:31 AM   #5
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Thank you, ronnieh. This is indeed a fix for this problem especially for older leagues or for leagues with custom tpl files, who have an extra folder /templates inside the league folder.
OOTP 22 comes with a template file head_bits.tpl which contains these lines:

PHP Code:
<meta name="content-language" content="en-us">
<
meta name="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8"

This works for me when testing with spanish and other letters.
If you have problems with those letters, make sure that your file /templates/head_bits.tpl contains that UTF-8 line. Also check your league folder: if there's a sub folder /templates, then this league uses it's own templates and you'll need to update them (if you want to use the default templates which came with OOTP 22, just rename or delete that custom folder).

Last edited by Andreas Raht; 08-19-2021 at 03:32 AM.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #6
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

I am getting the same thing in my HTML reports. The league is an old league but it does NOT have a template folder in the league folder and template folder above the league folder has the head_bits.tpl file with the two lines mentioned above.

Anyone have any other suggestions to fix this?
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:37 AM   #7
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
I am getting the same thing in my HTML reports. The league is an old league but it does NOT have a template folder in the league folder and template folder above the league folder has the head_bits.tpl file with the two lines mentioned above.

Anyone have any other suggestions to fix this?

Does the resulting HTML page also have the "UTF-8" line in the header, when you look at the source code of the page?

Problem could be that the player name is saved in an old format. Can you edit the player name and copy/paste the correct letters into OOTP and see if that fixes it for this player?
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #8
mtopham
Minors (Double A)

I'm having the same issue - the template file has the correct code, and player names are correct in the editor, yet the web pages are still a mess...
Old 08-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #9
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Yes the template file has the code, the index.html on the website has the code and in-game the player name is correct.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 08-27-2021, 02:55 PM   #10
mtopham
Minors (Double A)

We, too, continue to see the names all mucked up - we copied the template folder as mentioned above and our file has the UTF-8 code in it as well, yet the newly generated reports still have the names all messed up.

Such as Pablo
Old 08-27-2021, 03:03 PM   #11
silverwolf
Minors (Double A)

Try adding exactly the tag below to the HTML files (not the existing one with <meta name="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">), and the accented characters should show up. It's worked for many leagues I've helped out.

Code:
<meta charset="utf-8">
This is HTML5 format for charset encoding, see https://www.thoughtco.com/meta-chars...-html5-3469066

This isn't a fix for older leagues or ones with custom templates, it's needed in OOTP22 reports unless you have a web server that's adding additional information.

Last edited by silverwolf; 08-27-2021 at 03:14 PM.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
Problem could be that the player name is saved in an old format. Can you edit the player name and copy/paste the correct letters into OOTP and see if that fixes it for this player?
Tried editing the player name and made no difference
Old 08-27-2021, 03:48 PM   #13
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

OK, finally got the names to display correctly.

I added the <meta charset="UTF-8" /> line to the header_bit.tpl and regenerated/uploaded reports but this did not correct the issue and the new UTF line was not showing in the HTML that was generated.

After trying some other things it was suggested that I restart OOTP and when I did this and no other changes (above UTF-8 line in the header_bits.tpl file) and regenerated reports again it worked!

My guess is that OOTP cached the header_bits.tpl file so when I added it in the file without restarted OOTP the update didn't get used.

But all is good now.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #14
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Andreas, could we get the <meta charset="UTF-8" /> line added in the source header_bits.tpl file so that online leagues don't need to go in an manually do it, especially if a patch updates the template files)?
Old 09-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #15
Recte44
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf View Post
Try adding exactly the tag below to the HTML files (not the existing one with <meta name="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">), and the accented characters should show up. It's worked for many leagues I've helped out.

Code:
<meta charset="utf-8">
This is HTML5 format for charset encoding, see https://www.thoughtco.com/meta-chars...-html5-3469066

This isn't a fix for older leagues or ones with custom templates, it's needed in OOTP22 reports unless you have a web server that's adding additional information.
Where specifically should that be added?
Old 01-11-2024, 03:44 PM   #16
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Thanks. This came in handy today.

[I take it back. It didn't work]

Last edited by andjbock; 01-11-2024 at 09:03 PM.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 11:04 PM   #17
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Can anyone who has solved this take a quick look at my code to see if anything is preventing my characters from properly converting?

https://ootp.biz/mlb/players/player_28070.html

view-source:https://ootp.biz/mlb/players/player_28070.html

HTML Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>

<head>
  <title>Player Report for #27 Román 'Boom Boom' Tañón</title>
  <meta charset="utf-8">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../styles.css">
  <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../mlb.css">
  ******** src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.4.1.min.js"></script>
  ******** src="../scripts/sorttable.js"></script>
  ********>
    function replaceBrokenImages() {
      const defaultImage = 'http://ootp.biz/mlb/images/default_player_photo.png';
      const images = document.getElementsByTagName('img');
      for (let img of images) { // Add event listener instead of directly assigning to onerror property          img.addEventListener('error', function() {              console.log(`Image not found: ${this.src}`);              this.src = defaultImage; // Set default image source          });                    // Check for cached images and force error check          if (img.complete && img.naturalHeight === 0) {              img.dispatchEvent(new Event('error')); // Trigger error event          }      }  }    window.onload = replaceBrokenImages;  
  </script>
</head>

Last edited by andjbock; 06-12-2024 at 11:06 PM.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote