Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - Fictional Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #1
nebben
Minors (Double A)

Sim to start fictional league?

Do you sim seasons when first starting a fictional league?

There are many threads saying you should do this to weed out unrealistic seed players, but those posts are at least two years old. Just wondering if anyone thinks this is still necessary, or if the game's improved the fictional seed players it generates?
nebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

It's a great question.
Conventional wisdom here seems to suggest that you should.
I didn't with my W.P. Kinsella League which just finished up its 14th season. (And started in OOTP18.)
And I've been very happy with the results. I get some of the reasons people say to do this but I think many of them have also been overblown.
Or, as you seem to be suggesting, might be based upon earlier OOTP realities that have since changed, improved, disappeared, etc.

But I would very surprised if you didn't get some passionate arguments in the other direction too.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #3
BRyMcBourbon
Minors (Single A)

Sim to start fictional league?

I simmed my Tamriel league for 15 years before jumping in.

It was nice to have some history and get the league into swing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BRyMcBourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
miracle6
Bat Boy

but those posts are at least two years old. Just wondering if anyone thinks this is still necessary, or if the game's improved the fictional seed players it generates? Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin

Last edited by miracle6; 12-30-2020 at 11:47 PM.
miracle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I usually sim a 50 year stretch before going solo. Trying to get interested in the players is really difficult when you don't know anything about their history - and you immediately start tracking broken records as well.

I don't think there's any reason to do so as far as game processes are concerned, but a league without history simply doesn't have the depth of the MLB as we know it.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
nebben
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
I usually sim a 50 year stretch before going solo. Trying to get interested in the players is really difficult when you don't know anything about their history - and you immediately start tracking broken records as well.

I don't think there's any reason to do so as far as game processes are concerned, but a league without history simply doesn't have the depth of the MLB as we know it.

Good point
nebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:41 PM   #7
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I always like to sim ahead when I start my leagues so there's a baseline of history to work with before I get going. I also start my leagues in some unnatural year like 1800 or 1900 so that I don't have to suspend disbelief into the future.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:26 AM   #8
HumanRainDelay
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
I always like to sim ahead when I start my leagues so there's a baseline of history to work with before I get going. I also start my leagues in some unnatural year like 1800 or 1900 so that I don't have to suspend disbelief into the future.
That makes the most sense to me--letting the sim run a few seasons to provide a foundation. I enjoy the leagues that overlap fiction with history, and I will let the AI run things for a couple of years in those to provide some context before I dive into the mix.
HumanRainDelay is offline   Reply With Quote