Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Sounds
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

More Variety of Sounds

Is there a way to get more variety in sounds? It seems there are so many sounds which aren't utilized, and many of the same ones get used too often.

Thanks
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 02:35 PM   #2
kcstengelsr
Minors (Double A)

Here at Mods/Sounds I placed mediafire links to download three complete sounds folders which covers everything from ambients, stretches, rallies, and all the other sounds needed for a baseball game. One covers sounds of baseball prior to 1941, another goes from 1942 through 1959 but can be used as variety for later years, and the third I made to be used for smaller parks of 5K capacity or less.

And in the Mods/3D Models in the asrivkin's Mods/3dModels Jazz Age thread I added a fourth complete sounds file as a comment about his fictional Finley Park on page 3 in the comments. This fourth is for if you imagine your game taking place in a very rural setting along with small park capacity. I suppose that mediafire sounds link could also be used in field of dreams type parks.

These four do not cover all the sounds that I have created as I have many yet to be published.

[Update] I just published a fifth sounds file. Check out page 6 at asrivkins Mods/3dModels where I provide a link to early 1940s baseball with piano stretches like perhaps used by the ladies in the AAGPBL.

Last edited by kcstengelsr; 12-30-2021 at 05:16 PM.
kcstengelsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstengelsr View Post
Here at Mods/Sounds I placed mediafire links to download three complete sounds folders which covers everything from ambients, stretches, rallies, and all the other sounds needed for a baseball game. One covers sounds of baseball prior to 1941, another goes from 1942 through 1959 but can be used as variety for later years, and the third I made to be used for smaller parks of 5K capacity or less.

And in the Mods/3D Models in the asrivkin's Mods/3dModels Jazz Age thread I added a fourth complete sounds file as a comment about his fictional Finley Park on page 3 in the comments. This fourth is for if you imagine your game taking place in a very rural setting along with small park capacity. I suppose that mediafire sounds link could also be used in field of dreams type parks.

These four do not cover all the sounds that I have created as I have many yet to be published.

[Update] I just published a fifth sounds file. Check out page 6 at asrivkins Mods/3dModels where I provide a link to early 1940s baseball with piano stretches like perhaps used by the ladies in the AAGPBL.
I have the modern day individual parks installed...but many of the sounds seem to be repetitive even though there are a lot more sound files than just the ones being used over and over. I am wondering how to utilize all of these for more variety.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #4
kcstengelsr
Minors (Double A)

PSU Colonel,

When you go to data/sounds and click on the various individual sounds for playback can you determine which ones especially are repetitive and/or annoying? I can think of three things you can do to get the sounds closer to what you want but what you can do kind of depends upon the type of sound the one(s) in question happen to be. The three ways are:

1. Deletion.
In my opinion, the default game files have too much variety in some categories. For example the default sounds folder has about 26 different rallies and I manage to whittle that number of rallies down to about 4 to 7 for my ballparks. You want at least four rallies or they will repeat too often, but with 26 rallies you should feel free to delete some of those you do not wish to hear in your manual games. There are other categories of surplus like 17 oohs when I manage with about 3 very good ones, 15 cheer_light when I like my 4 favorites, and 11 cheer_heavy when the two I think best are fine for me. Feel free to delete some .oggs you dislike in these categories, but be sure to read my section on Adding Sounds before deletion as you may instead wish to rename some files.

2. Setting in-game ambient frequency.
If the offending files happen to be ambients you can set up the manual games to play all the ambients less frequently. The default sounds folder only comes with 18 ambients to begin with and my ballparks typically are set with somewhere between 36 to 45 different ambients. When starting a manual game check the Game Options and scroll down to Play-by-Play Options. Next, adjust Ambient Noise Frequency to Very Rarely if you only have the 18 default ambients, but with my 45 ambients I tend to set Ambient Noise Frequency at default Neutral. Setting Ambient Noise Frequency to Very Rarely should eliminate most of the problem with repetitive ambient sounds but I would not use the deletion method with the default ambients since there are already too few of them in my opinion.

3. Adding sounds.
Like I mentioned, I like to have at least double the number of ambients available for my manual games and I also like to have some variety for other occasions like the seventh inning stretch. My sound folders in Mods Sounds each have a variety of ambients and stretches along with sounds for the other categories. You may pick and choose the ones you would like to add to the default sounds folder if you wish.
If you do not want to add any of my sounds you can still make some changes to the default sounds folder to better suit your purpose. I think the game has too few ambient sounds but too many rally, ooh, cheer_light, and cheer_heavy sounds. What you should ultimately aim for are a larger number of ambient##.ogg's than those provided by the default sounds folder, so click for playback on the rally, ooh, cheer_light and cheer_heavy individual sounds and note which ones might be interesting as extra ambients. For example, perhaps a rally sound appears more like something generally heard at a ballpark than as a proper rally. Just rename that rally##.ogg to ambient##.ogg while making sure that the ambient number is not already being used. Do not worry about running out of numbers to use for ambients as some of mine work with numbers like ambient304.ogg.

Good luck!

Last edited by kcstengelsr; 12-31-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:13 PM   #5
micropterus58
All Star Starter

Remember that patches will overwrite any default files. Any files deleted will keep coming back. New files will still remain. Make a backup of your sounds folder once you get it to where you like it. This can be used whenever needed. I shortened the length of a few default files so I use the backups to restore my changed files after any patches.
micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:32 AM   #6
kcstengelsr
Minors (Double A)

I should add that with crowds around 30K or more and especially during playoff and series games that I suspect that the game engine for some reason increases ambient noise frequency and ambient volume automatically so the repetition of ambient sounds is most noticeable with large crowds during games when the home team is either winning or is at least not being blown out (crowd being active). This repetition can be annoying even if you have 36-45 ambient .oggs at the park like I prefer.

Since you cannot set Ambient Noise Frequency below Very Rarely without turning ambient noise completely off (next lowest setting for that at Play-by-Play Options is Never), I suggest keeping Ambient Noise Frequency at Very Rarely while also lowering Ambient Volume to a lower number below default 100 (I suggest Ambient Volume at 80 and tweak to taste). You might have to experiment to find the Ambient Volume which works best for large crowds.

On the other hand you might wish that the crowd and ambients were more active during games featuring attendance below 10K and especially so if attendance is below 5K or if the home team is badly losing the game (crowd being inactive) as I suspect that the game engine then automatically decreases Ambient Frequency and Ambient Volume. With my 36-45 ambient.oggs for this situation I like Ambient Noise Frequency at default Neutral and then I actually increase Ambient Volume to a level which works best for that game. On some occasions I even like the sound of a very laid back crowd doing something through ambients with Ambient Volume at 190 (I suggest for small crowds that you set Ambient Frequency at Neutral and Ambient Volume at 130 and tweak the volume from there).

The main thing to know is that there really is not one final and good for all situations solution to the ambient noise problem. Increasing the number of total ambient.oggs helps quite a bit but you probably will have to go game by game depending upon the crowd to get each particular game sounding like you prefer through tweaking Ambient Noise Frequency and Ambient Volume based upon each game's unique situation. If it is any consolation, at least know that it is easy to change Ambient Noise Frequency and Ambient Volume and that you can adjust both even multiple times within the duration of a manual game.

Last edited by kcstengelsr; 01-02-2022 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

basically is the designated driver and don't throw objects on the field PA announcer who won't shut up
Old 01-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #8
kcstengelsr
Minors (Double A)

PSU Colonel,

Perhaps an example(s) might help.
Here is a game on YouTube I made for a World Series game set in 1959:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMWn...el=kcstengelsr

For purposes of this thread, I used my custom sounds but I had KC Municipal's 45 ambient.oggs set to Very Rarely for frequency and to 80 for volume until the beginning of the 8th inning when I changed the ambient volume to 90.

I have the other games of the 1959 Alternate History Series on Twitch by searching for videos by kcstengelsr and you can hear for example game one with ambient volume at 100.

I think one wants ambients in the game since they provide color and the feeling of "being there" but trying to find their proper frequency and volume based upon the enthusiasm of the crowd that particular day is the key. I think one wants ambients to be a bit subtle but still evidently present. I think that I prefer the final two innings of my YouTube video with ambient frequency at Very Low and with ambient volume at 90 better than I like the first seven innings with ambient volume at 80, but judge for yourself and remember that game sounds ultimately kind of depend upon personal taste.

Last edited by kcstengelsr; 01-02-2022 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #9
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/2 (3)
Quote:
Here at Mods/Sounds I placed mediafire links to download three complete sounds folders which covers everything from ambients, stretches, rallies, and all the other sounds needed for a baseball game.
Where are the links? I don't see them, though I'm sure it's obvious where they are.
Baby Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
kcstengelsr
Minors (Double A)

to Baby Ruth:

from Mods go to Sounds.

in Sounds, find my threads like Sounds of MLB 1941-1969.

in that thread there is a link to a Mediafire folder. Click on that to download and then unzip the file as it comes compressed as a zip file.

read the enclosed text document which shows up after unzipping for more information and directions for use of those sounds.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:35 PM   #11
Baby Ruth
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/2 (3)
Quote:
to Baby Ruth:

from Mods go to Sounds.

in Sounds, find my threads like Sounds of MLB 1941-1969.

in that thread there is a link to a Mediafire folder. Click on that to download and then unzip the file as it comes compressed as a zip file.

read the enclosed text document which shows up after unzipping for more information and directions for use of those sounds.
Thanks! Found them.
Baby Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #12
jdolecek49
Major Leagues

Quote:

Mediafire is having issues, it will not let me download anything today
Old 06-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #13
Drbugboffin
Bat Boy

Where is the Sounds folder that you can add sounds too? I'm using Steam, if that makes a difference, but I can't find any OOTP22 folder named Sounds, so that I can dump into it some of the custom-made sounds mentioned above.
Drbugboffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #14
micropterus58
All Star Starter

The manual has all the answers.
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...&action=search
micropterus58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:58 PM   #15
micropterus58
All Star Starter

The manual has all the answers.
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...&action=search